Game Notes: #7 UVA basketball on the road at VCU
No. 7 UVA (8-0) plays at in-state rival VCU (5-2) in non-conference action on Saturday (Dec. 6) in Richmond, Va. Tipoff at the Siegel Center is set for 2 p.m.
- Virginia meets VCU for the first time at the Siegel Center in Richmond.
- Virginia seeks its first 9-0 start since 2001-02.
- The Cavaliers are 2-0 against in-state opponents this season, defeating James Madison (79-51) and Norfolk State (67-39).
- The Cavaliers rank second in the nation in scoring defense (46.3 ppg) and fourth in field goal percentage defense (31.1%).
- Virginia has held opponents under 70 points in a nation-leading 14 straight contests dating back to last season.
- The Virginia-VCU game will be televised on ESPNU and streamed online at WatchESPN.com.
- The game will be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
- UVa sports a 10-2 all-time mark, including a 5-1 mark in Richmond, against VCU in the series that dates back to 1976-77.
- VCU snapped Virginia’s four-game winning streak in the series with last year’s 59-56 win over the Cavaliers in Charlottesville.
- The Cavaliers play VCU for the first time in Richmond since the 1998-99 season.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 114-60 in six seasons at UVa and 183-93 in nine seasons overall.
VCU: Shake Smart (Kenyon College, 1999), 142-48 in six seasons at VCU.
Against the Commonwealth
- Since the 1999-2000 season, Virginia has a 53-13 record against teams from the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- UVa is 19-4 in its last 23 games vs. in-state opponents.
Last Time vs. VCU
- Treveon Graham hit a game-winning 3-pointer with 1.4 seconds remaining to send VCU to a 59-56 win over Virginia on Nov. 12, 2013.
- Graham led the Rams with a game-high 22 points.
- Joe Harris led Virginia with 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting and Malcolm Brogdon added 10 points.
- Mike Tobey added nine rebounds as the Cavaliers held a 41-28 advantage on the glass.
- Virginia committed season-high 19 turnovers, and shot just 39.1 percent (18-46) from the field, 12.5 percent from 3-point range (1-8) and 57.6 percent (19-33) from the charity stripe.
Virginia Moves Up to No. 7 in Latest Associated Press Poll
- UVa is ranked No. 7/6 in the latest associated press and USA Today coaches’ polls.
- The Cavaliers were ranked No. 9 in the AP poll for the first three week of the season and No. 8 last week.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking was UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
- UVa’s No. 3 final AP ranking last season marked its highest final ranking since 1982.
Last Time Out
- Malcolm Brogdon led four Cavaliers in double figures with 18 points as No. 7 Virginia defeated No. 21 Maryland 76-65 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Dec. 3.
- Justin Anderson added 16 points, Mike Tobey had 14 points and Anthony Gill added 11 as Virginia led the entire game.
- The Cavaliers shot 53.1 percent from the field and outrebounded Maryland 34-22 in their first win over a ranked team this season.
- Rookie Marial Shayok added nine points, five rebounds and four assists off the bench.
- The Cavaliers limited the Terrapins to 40 percent shooting from the field and only six assists on 16 made field goals.
On The Horizon
- Virginia hosts Cleveland State on Thursday, Dec. 18. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell