California Online Poker – Compare The Best Real Money Poker Sites In CA
Start playing California poker online today by joining any of our recommended top sites. After going through hundreds of candidate casinos, our experts have identified these to be the best casinos for poker in CA.
Keep reading to learn about the different currencies and payment methods you can use to play online poker for real money in California. We’ll also cover other important topics, including player bonuses and how to stay safe whilst playing online.
California Poker Sites
List of the Best California Online Poker Sites
Here are the overall top five best California poker sites. Due to the State’s laws on online casinos, all of these sites are licensed offshore. Nevertheless, they have an established track record of delivering a fun and safe experience to players across the US.
- BetOnline – The Flagship Online Poker Site in California.
- Bovada – One of the Best CA Poker Sites for Tournaments.
- SportsBetting.ag – A Top Provider of Poker Promotions.
- Ignition – One of the Best California Poker Sites for Loyalty Rewards.
- Everygame – An Ideal CA Poker Site for Beginners.
Reviews of the Best California Online Poker Sites
Learn more about each one of the top offshore California poker sites through these mini-reviews. You can read in-depth reviews by clicking on the links found in the respective mini-reviews.
1. BetOnline – The Flagship Online Poker Site in California
With all factors considered, BetOnline is the best California poker site overall. No matter whether you’re a new player or have been playing for long, you’ll find a selection of games and features to suit your needs. From free learning resources to high stakes tables and high deposit limits, the range of BetOnline Poker services is a cut above the rest.
From the moment you join this reputable and trustworthy online casino, you’ll be able to claim BetOnline Casino bonuses to boost the value of every deposit. You can use your bonus on eligible poker variants as well on applicable tournaments, including ones featuring a $1 million windfall. In addition, all of these games are also available through a dedicated mobile app.
- Live Super 6 Poker tables available
- Free resources to help you play poker
- Downloadable Android, iOS, and PC apps
- Generous bonuses and offers
- No eWallet deposits allowed
2. Bovada – One of the Best CA Poker Sites for Tournaments
The Bovada Poker platform is an especially popular California poker site for players that wish to participate in tournaments. Every month, the platform offers a collection of Knockout and Sit-and-Go tournaments in addition to Monthly Millys. Players can also find several competitions with guaranteed prizes, including ones with up to $1.5 million in weekly guarantees.
You can play tournaments or standalone games directly from your mobile device by visiting the main website or downloading the Android or iOS apps. Whichever way to decide to connect, you’ll find Bovada bonus codes ready to give your poker bankroll a boost. You can use these bonuses on Texas Hold’em, Omaha, or any other available variant.
- Customize your cards and poker tables
- Participate in 8+ tournaments each month
- Download the Android or iOS casino apps
- Pay in USD or cryptocurrency
- Relatively high fees for debit/credit card payments
3. SportsBetting.ag – A Top Provider of Poker Promotions
Sportsbetting.ag welcomes casino players from across California and the rest of the US with a variety of generous offers and promotions. This casino is known for offering some of the best casino bonuses in the country. Several offers are exclusively available to poker, and provide you with opportunities to boost the value of your deposits or recover your losses when you lose with a strong hand.
You can fund your Sportsbetting.ag account using both USD and cryptocurrency. If you opt for crypto, you’ll benefit from significantly higher deposit limits that reach $500k with Bitcoin. This is also one of the best high payout casinos in the country and supports withdrawals of up to $100k with BTC. Moreover, crypto payouts are free and processed within a short time.
- A variety of casino bonuses just for poker
- Numerous California poker rooms for Texas Hold’em and Omaha
- Poker tournaments with prize pools of $1 million and over
- Mobile-friendly poker platform that is also available for download on desktops
- Few resources to help you learn how to play poker
4. Ignition – One of the Best California Poker Sites for Loyalty Rewards
There are numerous reasons to play card games on the Ignition Poker platform. Apart from accessing a very good range of variants and table limits, players can collect points with every dollar wagered. Through the Ignition Rewards program, you can redeem your points for bonus cash, using it on eligible poker tables and other casino games.
From the moment that you join this casino, you’ll be welcomed with Ignition Casino promo codes that you can use for poker and other casino games. You’ll get rewarded no matter whether you deposit using USD or crypto, though by paying with BTC or Altcoins, you’ll benefit from higher-value rewards and faster payout times.
- Collect points with every $1 wagered on eligible poker games
- Participate in a variety of frequent online poker tournaments
- Access Annonymous Tables and other innovative features
- Customizable card and table design
- No downloadable Android or iOS mobile apps
5. Everygame – An Ideal CA Poker Site for Beginners
Everygame is a popular California poker site for players that are still new to playing online. This platform is smaller than the other casinos on this list, but offers educational resources to help you develop your skills and strategy. In addition, it supports 2-cent and 4-cent blinds and a variety of rooms where you can play Texas Hold’em or Omaha.
Just like the other casinos offering online poker in California, you’ll find Everygame bonus codes to use on poker games and tournaments. This site is also renowned for providing one of the highest rakeback rates in the country, equal to 36%. Players are also able to collect loyalty rewards and redeem them for no deposit bonuses, including Gold Chips.
- Low stakes poker available
- Offers a fixed, 36% rakeback rate
- An extensive loyalty program including no deposit bonuses
- A Curacao-licensed online casino and sportsbook
- Smaller tournament prize pools than other top sites
Comparing Online Poker Sites in California
Top sites offering online poker in California are constantly competing with each other for the top spot. As a result, they offer a broad range of games, features, and bonuses. Here are some of their most significant ones:
|Poker Room||Poker Bonus||Freerolls||Casino Poker||Qualifiers||Live Poker|
|BetOnline||100% up to $1,000||✅||16+||✅||✅|
|Bovada||100% up to $500||✅||4+||✅||✅|
|Sportsbetting.ag||100% up to $1,000||✅||10+||✅||❌|
|Ignition||150% Up to $3,000||✅||6+||✅||✅|
|Everyagame||200% up to $1,000||✅||1+||✅||❌|
Is Online Poker Legal in California?
Playing online poker for real money in California is officially outlawed since legislators have, so far, failed to introduce any supportive laws. This means that no online poker provider can be based or licensed in the State.
However, offshore casinos, such as BetOnline, are not based in the State and are able to accept players from CA.
Whilst there are no California online casinos that are licensed in the State, there are over 100 land-based facilities. Many of these are proper casinos, but there are also several racinos and card rooms available.
To play at a legal California poker room or casino, you’ll need to be between 18 and 21 years old. If alcohol is being served at the establishment, then the minimum gambling age would be 21 years.
California Poker Laws
Whilst California poker laws permit land-based gambling, online casinos are still restricted to offshore sites. Even though there are over 100 facilities across the Golden State, residents still tend to prefer casinos offering online poker in California.
- Online poker laws – As we are writing this guide on California poker, no online poker provider is able to get an operating license issued by the State.
- Offline poker laws – Poker is permitted in person, but only at tribal casinos or licensed card rooms.
- Gambling age – The State’s legal gambling age is 18 years, however, since most casinos serve alcoholic beverages, they don’t allow anyone under 21 to enter.
Can I Play at an Offshore Poker Room from California?
Before we listed any of the sites offering online poker in California, we’ve made sure that they were easily accessible by residents. If you reside and are located in CA, you should find no trouble connecting to any of our featured sites.
To start playing on USD or Bitcoin poker sites, all you need is a stable Internet connection and a suitable device. You shouldn’t need to use a VPN as there are no geolocation checks that block users from California.
Legal Poker Sites vs Offshore Poker Sites
Legal poker sites in California would be ones that are licensed by the California Gambling Control Commission. However, since there is no legal framework to support playing online poker with real money in California, no such license can be issued.
How can I tell the Difference between a Legal and Offshore Poker Site?
When an online casino is legally allowed to operate within a specific state, such as California, it would include its license details in the footer of its website. We are unable to provide you with an example of this since online casinos remain outlawed.
However, the best poker sites are also licensed by their respective jurisdictions. In the case of Bovada, for example, the California poker site is licensed by the Government of Curacao. As a result, it displays the official seal of approval at the bottom of its website.
Whilst not all offshore sites are licensed, the best ones normally are. Licensing ensures that games are checked for fairness and that operators act professionally with their players.
Online Poker Safety & Fairness – Who Regulates Legal Online Poker Sites in California?
Land-based poker is regulated by the California Gambling Control Commission, but online poker in CA is officially unregulated. However, offshore sites, including BetOnline, hold licenses by competent jurisdictions and abide by industry-standard practices concerning safety and fairness.
Games featured on all of our recommended real money poker apps and sites are audited by independent test labs. These auditors carry out checks to ensure that results are truly random and unbiased.
To help keep players safe, top California poker sites provide a page dedicated to Responsible Gaming. Within this page, players can find resources to help them keep playing fun, including self-check questionnaires and links to professional charities and organizations.
Offshore Poker Sites in California – Are Offshore Poker Sites Safe for California Players?
All our featured California poker sites implement a variety of safety and security measures to protect player details and funds. However, it is also a good idea to use some best practices to protect yourself.
Whenever possible, you should not use your main bank account or a card linked to it to fund your casino account. Consider using cryptocurrencies or eWallets instead, as they provide a barrier between your casino and bank accounts.
You should also consider connecting to the poker casino using a secure connection, such as the one provided by reputable VPNs. This will decrease the likelihood of your activity being tracked or your account being hacked.
Will California be Ring-Fenced or Shared Player Pool?
Ring-fencing is a technique used by casino operators to group players from a particular State, region, or country. By grouping them together, the operator can be sure that all members fall within a specific legal category and would only be able to play with other players that share the same characteristics.
At first, ring-fencing might seem intrusive and unfair, but there are several potential benefits for both operators and players. However, since there are no laws permitting online poker in CA, discussions about possible ring-fencing are years away.
Perks of Ring-Fencing Player Pools
By grouping players from California in a ring fence, operators can focus on providing a safe and fair environment that adheres specifically to the laws of the State. Grouping players from different states would require the operator to constantly check different laws and rules, with the risk of breaking contradictory ones.
Players that form part of a ring fence can look forward to receiving tailored features and services. For Californianians, this could include support in both English and Spanish, and access to a variety of popular payment methods, including as eWallets.
Drawbacks of Ring-Fencing Player Pools
The main drawback of ring-fencing is limiting the number of potential players to a particular geographical zone. This means that there would be fewer players that can participate in ring-fenced tournaments or games, resulting in lower-value bonuses and prize pools.
Another significant drawback of this option is that players would be limited to playing against others from their same area. This would limit their exposure to different playing styles and strategies, and by extension, their overall poker playing experience.
Timeline: History of Online Poker in California
California is not a poker-friendly state, and over the years that have been very few measures designed to facilitate any form of casino gambling. Here are some historical moments in the State’s poker gambling history:
- 1984 – The California State Lottery is launched.
- 1988 – Card rooms are regulated through the Gambling Control Act.
- 2000 – Proposition 1A is passed by referendum, paving the way for legalized casino and poker gambling at casinos on tribal land.
How to Play Online Poker in California
It only takes a few minutes to join and start playing on any of our featured California poker sites. In the following tutorial, we provide you with a step-by-step guide to joining BetOnline.
Step 1: Register Your BetOnline Account
Visit the BetOnline website and click on ‘Join’ to begin registration. Enter your basic personal and user information, including a valid mobile number and email address.
Step 2: Verify Your Email
By the time you finish registration, you should receive an automated email from the BetOnline team. Click on the link found within the email to confirm that your address is correct. It is very important that you complete this step as you won’t be allowed to deposit funds otherwise.
Step 3: Place Your First Payment
On the platform’s cashier page, you’ll be able to select your preferred payment method. This top-rated poker site accepts a wide variety of USD payment methods as well as 15+ cryptocurrencies.
Enter the value of your payment and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction. You should also remember to include the appropriate BetOnline bonus code to activate your favorite poker or casino welcome offer.
Step 4: Play Poker Games and Tournaments
Click on the ‘Poker’ page on the BetOnline website and browse through the variety of games and tournaments available. Click on your choice to launch a game or visit the tournament page.
Making Deposits & Withdrawals at California Poker Sites
You can start playing California poker online using either USD or one of the numerous cryptocurrencies. Our featured sites rank among the best Bitcoin casinos in the country, but also provide several familiar and secure USD banking options.
Crypto at Poker Sites
Using Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and other popular cryptocurrencies to play poker is easy when you use any of our featured sites. When you use these digital currencies, you’ll benefit from faster payouts as well as higher payment limits. In addition, some of the best Ethereum casinos will provide you with a higher-value bonus when paying with crypto.
eWallets at Poker Sites
PayPal, ecoPayz, Skrill, and other popular eWallets are available at some of our California poker sites. These banking options provide instant deposits and quick withdrawals but can be expensive to top up. In addition, they have become increasingly harder to find at most casinos due to the high costs involved with accepting them.
Traditional Payment Methods
Debit/credit cards, payment vouchers, bank transfers, and other so-called traditional payment methods continue to be accepted at the best California poker sites. You’ll find a very good range of these banking options at the best credit card casinos, but extra fees may apply to certain payments. Moreover, you may need to use an alternative method to withdraw funds.
Online Poker Bonuses Available for California Players
Get rewarded with some of the best casino bonuses in the US by joining any of our featured California poker sites. Here are some of the most notable rewards that you can claim as either a new or existing player:
Match Deposit Bonuses
This bonus tops up the value of your payment by a certain percentage. Some of the best reload bonus casinos will oftentimes offer 100% or even 200% match deposit bonuses, effectively doubling or even tripling the value of your payment.
No Deposit Bonuses
On some California poker sites, it’s possible to get rewarded even if you do not place a payment. No deposit bonuses provide free chips or other bonuses to players that have completed a particular task, such as referring a friend.
Free Roll Tickets
Entry to many poker tournaments, especially ones with a high-value prize pool, normally comes at a price. However, with free roll tickets, you can avoid paying this entry fee whilst still being able to participate in the competition and win real prizes.
Playing on California Poker Apps & Mobile Sites
All our California poker sites give you the option to play this and other casino games from your computer or your mobile device. All our featured sites offer mobile-optimized main websites, but some, including BetOnline and Bovada, also offer poker apps that you can download onto your Android and iOS devices.
Mobile Poker Apps – Advantages & Disadvantages
There are several benefits to playing poker using mobile casino apps or mobile-friendly websites instead of desktop computers. However, there are also certain drawbacks.
- Alerts of upcoming tournaments and new poker bonuses on apps
- Receive special bonuses that are exclusively available on mobile apps
- Start playing mobile poker for anywhere with a stable Internet connection
- Access the same variety of poker games and tournaments as you’d find on the main site
- Fund your account instantly using mobile-based payment methods, such as eWallets.
- Playing in noisy environments reduces your overall experience
- Apps only work on a specific set of Android and iOS versions
How to Download Poker Apps or Software
If you would like to start playing California poker directly from your smartphone or tablet by downloading an app, here’s how to do it:
- Click on the ‘Poker’ page of the website and select the applicable operating system. You can currently choose either ‘Android’ or ‘iOS’ apps. You will be informed if your device’s operating system is not compatible.
- Once the download is complete, click on it to open it and begin the poker platform installation. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete this step. Installation is carried out automatically.
- When the installation is ready, the BetOnline poker app logo should appear automatically on your home screen. Click on it to launch the poker casino app.
Tips for Playing Online Poker for Real Money in California
Our team of experts has prepared a collection of useful tips to help you make the most out of your poker experience.
- Keep learning – Poker is a game that is two parts luck and one part skill. Making the right choices can impact your overall performance, so do take time to develop your skills and try out different strategies.
- Play with others – You might be tempted to keep things simple and stick to poker games against the dealer. However, by playing with other players you’ll be able to learn from their experience or their mistakes.
- Join poker tournaments – Once you have a good understanding of the basics of poker, you should join tournaments to be challenged by new experiences. You might even do really well and win one of the leaderboard prizes.
- Explore different variants – Poker is a popular card game offering plenty of exciting variants. All our California poker rooms provide at least two variants, namely Texas Hold’em and Omaha, and you should try both to find your favorite.
- Claim poker bonuses – This tip might sound obvious, but some players ignore poker promotions, which is a real shame. These offers can boost your bankroll or reward you in other ways, allowing you to play real poker for free.
Playing Online Poker vs Poker Live in California
California offers just over 60 casinos and a variety of card rooms that all offer poker games. Playing poker live is, therefore, certainly possible, but has several drawbacks. These include the need to travel to a physical site during its opening hours, and the need to keep all poker hands and cheat sheets memorized.
Online platforms provide several advantages, including offering players the opportunity to play instantly from a mobile device. The best poker sites on Reddit, including BetOnline and Bovada, also provide quick access to different hand values, game strategies, and cheat sheets.
Running a physical poker room or casino is also much more expensive than online sites. As a result, these establishments are unable to offer the same generous bonuses as those found at top California poker platforms. These include no deposit bonuses and rakeback rates.
Live Poker in California – Casinos With Poker Rooms
The choice of physical locations where you can play poker is certainly greater than in some neighboring states. Here are three of the most popular land-based California poker rooms:
Agua Caliente Resort & Casino
- Address: 32-250 Bob Hope Dr, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270.
- Opening hours: All day.
The Agua Caliente Resort & Casino offers over 71,000 square feet of gaming space, including hundreds of slots and video poker machines. This top casino also offers an extensive choice of table games and variants, including Pai Gow and Mississippi Stud.
Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort
- Address: 12222 New York Ranch Rd, Jackson, CA 95642.
- Opening hours: All day.
The Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort offers visitors a total of 32 tables, six of which are dedicated to Texas Hold’em. There are also 1,700 machines, including slots and video poker. The rest of the property offers full resort amenities, including fine dining and a pool.
- Address: 45000 Pechanga Pkwy, Temecula, CA 92592.
- Opening hours: All day.
The entire Pechanga Casino floor is one of the largest in California, but the overall space dedicated to poker is fairly limited. Across the 200,000 square feet of gaming space, you’ll be able to play Tri-Card Poker, Texas Hold’em, and Pai Gow, in addition to other popular table games and slots.
Famous California Poker Players
Just like with New York online poker players who grew up or live in the Empire State, you’ll find numerous world-famous poker players that hail from California. Here are three of the most successful ones:
- Brian Rast – Rast ranks first in the list of California All Time Money List. The Poway, CA player has so far won over $23 million in poker games and once reached 10th place in the All Time Money List.
- Justin Cuong Van Tran – Born and raised in Sacramento, Cuong Van Tran has won over $13 million and currently ranks 2nd on the California All Time Money List. His best ranking on the All Time Money List was 13th.
- David Rheem – Rheem was born and raised in Los Angeles. To date, he has won over $12.8 million in poker games and ranks 3rd on the California All Time Money List. His best ranking on the All Time Money List was 43rd.
The Best Poker Site in California
If you’re eager to start playing California poker online you needn’t look further than BetOnline. This reputable and feature-rich site offers players everything they look for, including tournaments, educational resources, and generous bonuses. You can also practice playing poker for free by using demo games.
Join BetOnline Casino today in just a couple of minutes. Play on your computer or on your mobile and pay using your favorite USD or crypto payment method.