• For the second-straight week, true freshman running back Ray Lawry rushed for over 100-yards, carrying 13 times for 117 yards and two touchdowns against UTEP. For the season, Lawry has 403 yards rushing and a team-best seven touchdowns. He is averaging 8.2 yards per carry.
• Quarterback Taylor Heinicke finished 13-of-25 for 196 yards and three touchdown passes. The three TD tosses put him in sole possession of eighth place on the FBS career charts with 120. He was tied with Timmy Chang of Hawai’i. He also moved into 10th on the career passing yards list with 13,298, moving past Colt McCoy of Texas and Aaron Murray of Georgia.
• Sophomore David Washington led the ODU receivers with five catches for 39 yards and a touchdown while Zach Pascal had three grabs for 49 yards and a score. Marques Little scored the second touchdown of his career on a 38-yard catch late in the fourth quarter.
• True freshman Isaiah Worthy notched a career-best nine tackles at linebacker.
ODU in the C-USA
ODU is near the top of the conference in punt return average and in fewest penalties. The Monarchs are also tied for second in the country with Michigan for fewest penalties per game.
Punt Return Avg. – 13.7 – 4th
Penalties – 23 – 1st
The Monarchs also rank near the top in several individual categories.
Receptions – Zach Pascal – 37 – 4th
Receiving Yards – Zach Pascal – 509 – 2nd
Punting – Taylor Heinicke – 48.4 – 1st
Gerard Johnson – Rush yards per game – 64.3 – 10th
Taylor Heinicke – Pass Yards per game – 259.3 – 4th
Martez Simpson – Tackles per game – 7.3 – 6th
Fellonte Misher – Tackles per game – 7.1 – T-7th
D.J. Simon – Tackles per game – 7.1 – T-7th
As a Team
Fewest Penalties 23-218 – T-2nd
For his career, Pascal has 78 receptions for 1,043 yards and 11 touchdowns.
Hauling Them In (Part Two)
Senior Antonio Vaughan had just one catch for 24-yards in the loss at UTEP. For the season, he has 31 receptions for 433 yards and a league-high seven touchdowns.
In his four years at ODU, Vaughan has 198 catches for 2,681 yards and 28 touchdowns.
Chasing (and Catching) the Record Books
Old Dominion has only had football for five years, however, Antonio Vaughan is within striking distance of several Monarch records. He now holds record for receptions and total touchdowns, and is just 55-yards from the receiving yards record, and two receiving touchdowns from that record.
Category Record Holder Total Vaughan Needs
Receptions Antonio Vaughan198 Has Record
Receiving YardNick Mayers 2,688 7
Rec. TD’s Nick Mayers 28 2
Total TD’s DeMarco/Mayers 32 Has Record
The Streak Continues
It took longer than normal in the game at UTEP, but Antonio Vaughan caught a pass for 24-yards late in the fourth quarter to extend his school-record streak of catches in a game to 30-straight. He was last held without a catch on Sept. 8, 2012 at Hampton. He is tied for the 14th longest streak in the nation.
Player School Games
1) Matt Miller Boise State 44
2) Dominic Rufran Wyoming 44
3) Justin Hardy East Carolina 43
4) Rashad Greene Florida State 36
T5) Tyler Lockett Kansas State 35
T5) Jamison Crowder Duke 35
T5) Jordan Leslie BYU 35
T5) Josh Harper Fresno State 35
9) Tommy Shuler Marshall 34
T10) D.J. Foster Arizona State 33
T10) Geremy Davis UConn 33
T10) J.D. McKissic Arkansas State 32
T10) Alonzo Russell Toledo 32
14) Levi Norwood Baylor 31
T15) Antonio Vaughan Old Dominion 30
T15) Devante Davis UNLV 30