Live Coverage: #2 Duke vs. #3 UVA in the Biggest Dadgum Game Ever
AFP editor Chris Graham leads our live coverage as ESPN College GameDay is in town for #2 Duke (20-2, 8-1 ACC) vs. #3 UVA (20-1, 8-1 ACC).
- The Virginia-Duke game will be televised on ESPN and streamed online on ACC Network Extra (WatchESPN.com) and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
College GameDay Returns to JPJ
- College GameDay Covered by State Farm returns to JPJ for the fourth time in the last five years. The pregame show will air on ESPN at 11 a.m.
- The Cavaliers are 1-4 all-time during College GameDay.
- UVA posted its lone win on College GameDay vs. North Carolina (79-74 in 2016).
Battle of Top 5s
- UVA and Duke meet for the second time as top-5 teams in 2018-19 and fourth time overall in history of the series:
- No. 4 Duke 69, @ No. 2 Virginia 63 – Jan. 31, 2015
- No. 2 Virginia 65, @ No. 4 Duke 63 – Jan. 27, 2018
- @ No. 1 Duke 72, No. 4 Virginia 70 – Jan. 19, 2019
UVA Team Notes
- As of Feb. 6, UVA ranks first nationally in scoring defense (52.9 ppg), turnovers per game (9.0), fewest turnovers (189) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (24.7%), third in scoring margin (20.0), winning percentage (95.2%) and field goal percentage defense (37%), fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.61), fifth in fewest fouls (316), 15th in 3-point field goal percentage (39.4%),16th in free throw percentage (76.1%) and rebound margin (6.9) and 18th in personal fouls per game (15.0).
- As of Feb. 7, Kyle Guy ranks first in the ACC in 3-pointers (2.9), third in 3-point percentage (43.8%), eighth in minutes (33.7) and 15th in scoring (14.5).
- Ty Jerome ranks third in assists (5.0) and assist-to-turnover ratio (3.1), fifth in 3-point percentage (40.6%) and 18th in minutes (31.7).
- De’Andre Hunter ranks fifth in field goal percentage (52.9%) and 14th in scoring (14.7).
- Mamadi Diakite ranks ninth in blocked shots (1.3) and Braxton Key ranks 20th in rebounding (5.9).
Round 1: Duke 72, UVA 70 (Jan. 19)
- RJ Barrett scored 30 points and Zion Williamson added 27.
- De’Andre Hunter led Virginia with 18 points and Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy each added 14 points.
- UVA shot 52.8 percent, but was 3 of 17 from 3-point range.
- Duke shot 51 percent, including 63.2 percent in the second stanza.
- Duke out-rebounded UVA 32-30 and each team had eight turnovers.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell