Live Blog: UVA at the NCAA Tournament
Top seed UVA (26-7) will face #16 seed Hampton (21-10) in the first round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament today in Raleigh, N.C. Augusta Free Press editor Chris Graham is courtside at the PNC Arena and will report live with flavor from the arena, analysis, commentary and more.
Sponsor: United Rental
Whether you’re building an office high-rise or tracking a commercial construction job, we have the equipment & tool rental solutions you need to get it done on time and on budget.
- The Virginia-Hampton game will be televised on truTV and streamed online at NCAA.com (March Madness on Demand).
- The game will be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network and Westwood One/NCAA Radio Network on Sirius (83) and XM (202).
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
- The Pirates shoot 41.5 percent from the field and 30.8 percent from three-point range. Their preference for pace leads to issues with turnovers, with Hampton averaging 14 a game.
- Point guard Reginald Johnson Jr. averages a team-best 18.3 points and 4.1 assists per game. Those are the good numbers. The not-so-good: 37.2 percent shooting from the field, 30.2 percent from the line, 16.3 field-goal attempts per game, 2.8 turnovers per game. It’s feast-or-famine.
- Forward Quinton Chievous averages 17 points and 11 rebounds a game on 57.1 percent shooting from the field. Chievous gets to the line (5.7 attempts per game), but only shoots 48.3 percent on his charity tosses.
- Also watch for: Brian Darden (13.2 ppg, 34.6% FG, 33.5% three-point field goal), Lawrence Cooks (8.0 ppg, 40.7% FG, 32.7% three-point field goals).
- The return of Anthony Gill: AG has scored in double figures in five of his last six games after a late-season slump, including scoring 13 on 5-of-8 shooting in the ACC Tournament final against North Carolina.
- Malcolm Brogdon is coming off probably his worst performance of the season in that UNC game: 6-of-22 from the field and just one free-throw attempt.