High-schoolers experience life as State Police trainees
High school students from across the Commonwealth became the newest graduates of the Junior Law Cadet program, which is co-sponsored by the Virginia State Police and The American Legion. The 39 teenagers were presented their graduation certificates at the Virginia State Police Academy in Chesterfield County during Friday afternoon’s ceremony.
The 25th Annual Junior Law Cadet program is a weeklong training curriculum for high school students who have completed their junior year. Cadets experience a life similar to a trooper-in-training, complete with daily room inspections and instruction by state police troopers on Department operations, crime scene investigations, officer survival, undercover operations, driver improvement, scuba training, defensive tactics and firearms safety.
“The daily instruction and exercises give the young men and women a glimpse into the life and training a Virginia State trooper undergoes,” said Colonel W. Steven Flaherty, Superintendent of the Virginia State Police. “It’s a valuable experience, especially for teenagers who have an interest in pursuing law enforcement as a career. More importantly, the Junior Law Cadet program is one of the best ways for our Department to make contact and build positive relationships with today’s young people.”
Cadet Ihsanullah Lodin of Alexandria, Va., was selected for the Jessica J. Cheney Spirit Award. The annual award is presented in memory of Trooper Jessica J. Cheney who was the first cadet to graduate from the program and go on to become a trooper. Trooper Cheney died of injuries suffered Jan. 17, 1998, after being struck by a vehicle as she directed traffic at a crash scene on Route 1, north of Fredericksburg. The award is presented to the cadet who demonstrates the same motivation, drive and enthusiasm that Trooper Cheney displayed as a cadet.
Additional award recipients include:
Physical Fitness Award for Female: Cadet Caitlin Shilan of Reva, Va.
Physical Fitness Award for Male: Cadet Kyhre V. Smith of Chester, Va.
Virginia State Trooper Counselor’s Award: Cadet Diamond Perry of Dewitt, Va.
25th Annual Junior Law Cadets Program – Roster
- Graham W. Allison of Midlothian, Va.
- Morgan B. Arrington of Fredericksburg, Va.
- Justin T. Aylor of Charlottesville, Va.
- Matthew J. Beeler of Culpeper, Va.
- Bryan Blanco of Richmond, Va.
- Gabriel B. Burns of Stafford, Va.
- Daniel R. Chambers of Crewe, Va.
- Kelsey L. Crowder of Amelia Courthouse, Va.
- Matthew D. Curry of Fishersville, Va.
- Kelcy Deagle of Gloucester, Va.
- Elizabeth Dexter of Alexandria, Va.
- Victoria L. February of Gloucester, Va.
- Anna Flach of Annandale, Va.
- Nathan Fowlkes of Dry Fork, Va.
- Daniel Frimpong of Alexandria, Va.
- Nicole Gardenier of McLean, Va.
- Zachary Harris of Ringold, Va.
- Tyler G. Gibson of Disputanta, Va.
- William T. Hatchett of Martinsville, Va.
- Kaytlyn Emily L. Holmes of Louisa, Va.
- Terrance M. Jordan of Louisa, Va.
- Johnathan G. Kitmitto of Stafford, Va.
- Melanie L. Lilly of Powhatan, Va.
- Ihsanullah Lodin of Alexandria, Va.
- Adriana Lopez-Escalante of Alexandria, Va.
- Carly J. Mandell of Alexandria, Va.
- Erin M. McDonald of Annandale, Va.
- James Mills of Bassett, Va.
- Diamond Perry of Dewitt, Va.
- Alexander D. Raffetto of Mechanicsville, Va.
- Seth D. Ralston of Hinton, Va.
- John Schoeneweis of Midlothian, Va.
- Gabriel P. Servais of Alexandria, Va.
- Caitlin Shilan of Reva, Va.
- Kyhre V. Smith of Chester, Va.
- James Thomas of Gloucester, Va.
- Josue Valencia of Keeling, Va.
- Angel Watson of Hayes, Va.
- Jacob N. Wiseman of Vinton, Va.