Game Notes: #6 Virginia basketball battles Bradley in Charleston on Thursday
- UVA seeks its third consecutive non-conference, regular-season tournament title.
- The Cavaliers captured the Corpus Christi championship in 2013 and Barclays Center Classic title in 2014.
- Bradley head coach Brian Wardle served as head coach at Tony Bennett’s alma mater, Green Bay, for five seasons from 2010-15.
- Virginia posted a 2-1 record against Green Bay during Brian Wardle’s tenure at the school.
- The Virginia-Bradley game will be televised on ESPN2, streamed online at WatchESPN.com and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 137-65 in seven seasons at UVA and 206-98 in 10 seasons overall.
Bradley: Brian Wardle (Marquette, 2001), 1-1 in his first season at Bradley and 96-66 in six seasons overall.
Virginia’s No. 6 AP Preseason Ranking Best Since 1982-83
- UVA is ranked No. 6 in the latest Associated Press and USA Today Coaches’ preseason polls.
- The Cavaliers’ No. 6 preseason ranking was UVA’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
- UVA has been ranked in the top 10 in 25 consecutive AP polls since March 3, 2014, its longest span since 49 consecutive polls from 1980-83.
- Virginia has been ranked in the preseason top-10 in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1981-82 and 1982-83.
- UVA has finished in the top 10 (No. 3 in 2014 & No. 6 in 2015) in the final AP rankings in back-to-back seasons for the first time since three straight seasons from 1981-83.
About The ‘Hoos
- The Cavaliers defeated Morgan State 86-48 to open the season, but suffered a 73-68 loss at George Washington on Monday, Nov. 16.
- Senior All-America candidate Malcolm Brogdon and Anthony Gill lead the Cavaliers into action at the Charleston Classic.
- Brogdon tallied a career-high 28 points at George Washington and leads UVA in scoring at 16.5 points per game.
- Gill is averaging 11.5 points and 6.0 rebounds, and has reached double figures in scoring in each of the first two games.
- Senior center Mike Tobey has averaged 12.5 points and a team-leading 7.5 rebounds.
UVA vs. The Charleston Classic Field
- Virginia is 13-8 all-time against the 2015 Charleston Classic field.
- The Cavaliers are 0-2 vs. Bradley, 7-1 vs. George Mason, 0-0 vs. Long Beach State, 1-1 vs. Mississippi, 0-1 vs. Oklahoma State, 0-3 vs. Seton Hall and 5-0 vs. Towson.
Last Time Out
- Virginia suffered a 73-68 loss at George Washington on Monday, Nov. 16.
- Malcolm Brogdon led UVA in points (28), rebounds (6) and assists (4) in the loss.
- Tyler Cavanaugh (18), Patricio Garino (18), Paul Jorgensen (10) and Joe McDonald (10) each scored in double figures for George Washington.
- The Colonials out-rebounded Virginia 37-33 and went 23-28 from the charity stripe.
- UVA shot 40.3 percent from the field, including 25 percent (5-20) from 3-point range.
- 59 of UVA’s 68 points came from its starters.
- The loss ended Virginia’s seven-game winning streak vs. George Washington.
Virginia All-Time vs. Bradley
- UVA is 0-2 all-time against Bradley in the series that dates back to 1947.
- Bradley defeated UVA, 96-85, in the last meeting between the teams during the College Basketball Invitational at John Paul Jones Arena in 2007-08.
- Bradley defeated Virginia 77-58 in the first meeting between the teams in 1947.
On The Horizon
- Virginia returns home from the Charleston Classic to host Lehigh in a non-conference tilt on Wednesday, Nov. 25. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m.