DMV expands walk-in availability as part of new hybrid service plan
Beginning Wednesday, Dec. 15, Virginia DMV customers may choose to walk in for service on Wednesdays, in addition to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (in offices with Saturday hours), at all 75 customer service centers.
Appointments will still be available on Mondays and Fridays. Hours vary by office location.
DMV launched its hybrid service model, with alternating days of appointments and walk-ins, Oct. 5 with a pledge to Virginians to evaluate data and adjust as necessary to provide optimal service. A month of evaluation showed that, in addition to continued strong support for appointments, an added day of walk-in service would further enhance customer service options.
“To provide the best possible service to all Virginians, we continually assess how, when and where Virginians want to access their DMV. Throughout the pandemic, dmvNOW.com became even more popular so we added to the slate of over 50 online services. People love the convenience of our neighborhood DMV Select and mobile DMV Connect programs so we expanded each,” said DMV Commissioner Richard D. Holcomb. “After evaluating our new in-person hybrid service model, our data shows a need to fine tune the balance of walk-in and appointment days. We want customers to customize their DMV experience through our many service options and we will continue to work hard to enhance those options for them.”
Data shows strong customer preference of DMV service options outside of the traditional customer service center. In fact, just last week, customers completed 32 percent more of their DMV business online compared to almost two years ago, pre-pandemic.
Service options other than a CSC include:
- Online: More than 50 services are available at dmvNOW.com
- Mail: Popular services such as driver’s license and vehicle registration renewals may be completed by mail
- Drop-off: Customers needing a title after purchasing a vehicle from an individual (not a dealer) may drop off their applications and supporting documents at a CSC
- DMV Select: Vehicle-related services are offered through our partner offices
- DMV Connect: Appointments can be scheduled for nearly every DMV service with the agency’s mobile teams
Customers who have scheduled an appointment and instead decide to walk in for service should cancel that appointment to make it available for other customers. Customers with Wednesday appointments December 15 or later will be automatically rescheduled for a new date near the original appointment.