ACLU available to assist voters denied poll access
“The ACLU of Virginia continues to be concerned about free and fair access to the polls as a result of the mandate that went into effect last year requiring voters to bring photo identification in order to exercise their right,” said ACLU of Virginia Executive Director Claire Guthrie Gastañaga. “We stand ready to protect and defend anyone whose right to vote is denied.”
Voters should be prepared to present an approved, valid form of photo ID to cast a vote.
Acceptable photo IDs include:
- Virginia Driver’s License or other Virginia DMV Photo ID (not expired more than 12 months),
- U.S. Passport (not expired more than 12 months),
- Other government-issued photo ID (must be issued by U.S. government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, or a political subdivision of the commonwealth),
- Valid Virginia college or university student photo ID,
- Employee photo ID, and
- Free Voter Photo ID Card (available at any general registrar’s office).
For more information and a complete list of acceptable IDs, visit elections.virginia.gov/
The ACLU of Virginia can help voters with many common problems, including understanding what to do if they:
- Have their votes challenged by poll workers,
- Are not listed on the registration roll,
- Cannot physically access the polling precinct,
- Make a mistake on the ballot, or
- Are told they cannot vote because they are wearing political-related attire.
Voters who fail to show an approved, valid photo ID may cast a provisional ballot, but must then provide proof of photo ID to their general registrar by noon on Friday, Nov. 6, to complete their vote. Voters without an approved photo ID may obtain a free, temporary photo ID printed instantly from their general registrar, even on Election Day.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell