Video: AFP produces WVPT spot promoting Wayne Theatre
Augusta Free Press has produced a spot that will run on WVPT-Virginia’s Public Television promoting the Wayne Theatre.
More online at WayneTheatre.org.
About the Wayne Theatre
On January 18, 1926, Cols. Carl Loth and James Patterson opened the doors on Waynesboro’s first vaudeville/silent movie theatre. Its neo-classical façade, fashionable interior, and mighty organ were the wonders of the day.
Seeking to take advantage of the post-war boom, the management gutted and expanded the original auditorium in 1949, effectively doubling the seating. Along with a new concession/lounge area and bathrooms the Wayne continued as the entertainment center for the community. In 1980, a fire began in the concession area and travelled upward into the balcony.
The conflagration allowed the owners to remodel the auditorium and divide it into two theatres. Twenty years later the management decided to withdraw from the Waynesboro entertainment market and turned the Wayne Theatre over to the city.
In 2000, Waynesboro City Council created the Wayne Theatre Alliance and empowered the group to oversee the revitalization of the historic Wayne Theatre and with it downtown Waynesboro.
In a few short months, the Wayne Theatre Alliance incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit and began the journey of making the Wayne not just a movie house, but a center for entertainment and conferences.
The mission of the Wayne Theatre Alliance is to enhance the artistic, cultural, educational and economic life of Waynesboro and the surrounding area through the operation of the Wayne Theatre, production of cultural events and partnerships with local, regional and state organizations.