Waynesboro resident featured in national magazine
As family and friends across the country get ready to gather around the table for springtime brunch, Taste of Home, the No. 1 cooking and entertaining magazine read by 16 million people nationwide each month, has chosen some of its favorite recipes including a classic recipe for Braided Onion-Potato Loaf from Waynesboro resident Joan Ranzini offering a perfect addition for hosting Easter brunch this holiday.
All recipes submitted by amazing home cooks, and tested and vetted through Taste of Home’s rigorous selection process – are certain to add flavor to any gathering.
Braided Onion-Potato Loaf
Prep: 20 min. + rising ; Bake: 25 min; Yield: 16 Servings20
· 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cubed
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
· 1 egg
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 1 tablespoon honey
· 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
· 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
· 1/4 teaspoon pepper
· 4 cups bread flour
· 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· Additional grated Parmesan cheese
· Place potato and onion in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Mash until potatoes are smooth (about 3/4 cup); set aside.
· In bread machine pan, place the milk, mashed potato, egg, butter, honey, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, flour and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
· When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into thirds. Shape each into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.
· Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Uncover; brush top with beaten egg. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 151 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.