Richmond blasts UVA, 37-20: Box score, game notes
UVA Team Notes
- UVA has lost its season-opening game in each of the last three seasons
- UVA has lost two of its last three home season openers
- UVA’s 10-game winning streak vs. Richmond ended with the loss
- Richmond’s 37 points were its most scored against UVA in 33 all-time games (19 twice)
- Virginia is now 28-3-2 all-time vs. Richmond
- The Cavaliers fell to 74-21-7 all-time in home openers and 80-28-9 all-time in season openers
- Head coach Bronco Mendenhall fell to 8-4 in season openers (8-3 at BYU)
- Mendenhall lost his first career game against an FCS opponent (8-0 at BYU)
- UVA allowed 524 yards, its most since allowing 610 vs. Clemson in 2013
- UVA was not penalized for the first time since 2004 vs. Maryland
- Virginia First Time Starters: Offense: Kurt Benkert (QB), Warren Craft (WR), Jake Fieler (LG); Defense: Jordan Mack (OLB)**, Jack Powers (DE), Steven Wright (DE) and Myles Robinson (CB)
- Warren Craft (WR), Tanner Cowley (WR), Hasise Dubois (WR)**, Bryce Hall (CB)**, Eli Hanback (DE), Ben Hogg (WR), Jordan Mack (OLB)**, Juwan Moye (OLB)**, Gladimir Paul (OLB), Joe Reed (WR)**, Chris Sharp (S), Jahvoni Simmons (ILB), James Trucilla (DT) and Steven Wright (DE) made their collegiate debuts
** – denotes true freshmen
UVA Player Notes
- QB Kurt Benkert went 26-for-34 for 264 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in his first career start and UVA debut
- Benkert’s 26 completions and three touchdown passes tied for most among UVA quarterbacks in their first career start (Mike Groh, 1994)
- Benkert’s 264 passing yards ranks No. 3 all-time among UVA quarterbacks in their first career start, trailing only Aaron Brooks (305) and Phillip Sims (268)
- Benkert became the 11th different UVA quarterback to start an opener in the last 12 seasons
- Olamide Zaccheaus had five receptions (career-best) for 75 yards and one touchdown
- Doni Dowling hauled in his first career touchdown reception and had four catches for 53 yards
- Keeon Johnson matched career-bests in receptions (5) and touchdowns (1)
- Taquan Mizzell extended his reception streak to 34 games (4 receptions, 24 yards)
- Micah Kiser led UVA with 14 tackles and had one sack and two forced fumbles
- Chris Sharp led UVA with 73 kickoff return yards in his collegiate debut
- Chris Peace had five tackles and recorded his first career sack
- Zach Bradshaw had a career-best two tackles for loss and his first career forced fumble
- Andrew Brown had a career-best seven tackles
- Kirk Garner had a career-best six tackles
- Today’s win is Richmond’s fourth win over an ACC opponent in the past 10-plus seasons.
- It’s the first win over UVA since November 2, 1946 when the Spiders won in Richmond, 19-7
- The 38 rushing yards by UVA is the fewest by a Richmond opponent since October 25, 2014 when Elon rushed for 17 total yards. It’s the fewest yards ever gained by an FBS opponent against the Spiders.
- The 37 points is the most scored by the Spiders against a BCS opponent
- Kyle Lauletta’s 337 passing yards marks his fifth career 300+ yard passing game.
- With 337 yards passing, Lauletta eclipses 4,000 yards passing in his career, making him just the eighth Spider in program history to reach that plateau.
- With 114 yards on the ground from Gordon Collins, the Spiders have now had a 100-plus yard rusher in eight of the past nine games dating back to the 2015 season.
- Tyler Wilkins caught his first two career touchdown passes in the victory.
- Brian Brown has at least five catches in nine of his past 10 games dating back to last year.