Repairs to both Staunton city parking garages begin next week
The City will close the Johnson Street parking garage for extensive renovations from May 14 until late October or early November.
At the same time, the New Street parking garage will undergo less extensive maintenance work and will remain open during repairs.
The expected cost to repair both garages is approximately $2.3 million, slightly lower than the original estimate of $2.5 million. The majority of the funds will go toward the Johnson Street parking garage renovation. The City sought bids for both projects together to gain some efficiencies and cost savings in completing repairs to both facilities under a single contract.
Impact on Parking: Johnson Street Parking Garage
The Johnson Street parking garage will be closed until the fall. Customers who pay monthly to park in the garage have two options during the project:
- Suspend their account and make their own parking arrangements. Once the garage is reopened, the City will provide notification and reactivate their account.
- Park at either of two locations made available by the City on the Central Avenue corridor.
- Parking is subject to availability and permitted from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. No weekend or overnight parking will be permitted.
- Those who choose this option must visit the City Manager’s Office to obtain a special permit to display on their dashboard before using either lot.
- The parking rate is $10 per month, reduced from the regular rate of $30 per month to park in the garage. The City will continue to invoice monthly customers.
Monthly customers should contact Morgan Smith at 540.332.3812 or firstname.lastname@example.org to share their preferred option on or before May 11. Otherwise, the City will suspend Johnson Street parking garage customer accounts effective May 14.
Impact on Parking: New Street Parking Garage
The New Street parking garage is expected to remain open to the public during the project. Customers can expect some disruption to daily operations as work occurs in different areas of the garage. Patrons of the New Street parking garage are encouraged to pay close attention to signs and direction from representatives of the contractor and City staff throughout the project.
There will be no changes in rates for monthly parking.
Please contact the City Manager’s Office at 540.332.3812.