Home Columbia Gas reminds public of carbon monoxide safety during Poison Prevention Week

Columbia Gas reminds public of carbon monoxide safety during Poison Prevention Week


newspaperColumbia Gas of Virginia is encouraging customers to stay safe by learning the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning in recognition of National Poison Prevention Week (March 15-21).

The company partnered with First Alert to provide a 20% discount on various carbon monoxide detectors ordered directly through http://firstalertstore.com/columbiagas.*

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas that can be a by-product of the combustion of ordinary fuels. Carbon monoxide can become very poisonous if it is not vented properly and if allowed to accumulate without sufficient oxygen. The surest way to know if there is carbon monoxide in your home is with a detector.

“When appliances malfunction or do not vent properly, carbon monoxide can accumulate,” said Columbia Gas of Virginia Vice President and General Manager Phil Wilson. “Regular maintenance of heating appliances not only improves efficiency and extends the life of the equipment – but more importantly, it could save a life.”

For more information on carbon monoxide safety and for a link to the 20% discount mentioned above, please visit www.ColumbiaGasVA.com/carbon-monoxide.


Carbon Monoxide Prevention Tips

  • Purchase carbon monoxide detectors or make sure that yours are operating properly.
  • Make certain all fuel-burning equipment (coal, wood, natural gas, propane, pellet stoves, kerosene, and fuel oil) is properly installed, inspected, and operating.
  • Hire a professional to install all fuel burning appliances, including ovens, stoves, and clothes dryers.
  • Do not cut off or restrict air sources to appliances.
  • Provide adequate indoor ventilation when using fireplaces or unvented space heaters.
  • Never burn charcoal indoors or in an enclosed space.
  • Clean chimneys and check for blockages.
  • Never use a kitchen range or oven to heat a room. In addition to producing dangerous carbon monoxide gas, it also can damage the range.
  • Open garage doors before starting vehicles.


Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

Carbon monoxide may cause any or all of the following symptoms:

Human symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, ringing in the ears, seeing spots, feeling ill or tired at home, but feeling fine away from home, as well as loss of consciousness and respiratory failure.

Household symptoms include foul-smelling or stale air, the smell of exhaust fumes, a yellow or orange flame on natural gas ranges and stoves, as well as soot around the outside of a chimney, furnace or water heater flue vent, or large areas of condensation of water vapor on walls or windows.


What to Do

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning or a natural gas leak, leave the home immediately, and then contact 911.

*The First Alert name and emblem are used with its permission, which in no way constitutes an endorsement, express or implied, by Columbia Gas. This offering is made available as a convenience and you are free to choose other manufactures and products.

For product limited warranty, operation and general information, refer to the product User’s Manual included with the device or visit www.firstalertstore.com. First Alert, its agents and licensees are not agents or representatives of Columbia Gas and Columbia Gas does not sell or warranty any First Alert products.



Have a guest column, letter to the editor, story idea or a news tip? Email editor Chris Graham at [email protected]. Subscribe to AFP podcasts on Apple PodcastsSpotifyPandora and YouTube.