Harrisonburg’s Valley Fourth offers day of activities
Whether you are ready to break a sweat at VA Momentum’s Valley 4th RUN or Breathe Pilates and Fitness’ Sunrise Circuit, test your limits on the climbing wall, or dance the night away with exceptional local bands and a beer in hand. Valley Fourth will feature kids’ activities, including eating contests and cake walks, Friendly City Food Co-op’s Watermelon Seed Spitting contest, art activities with Shenandoah Valley Art Mobile, bubbles, balloon animals, bounce houses and more. Of course, Valley Fourth will conclude with another bigger, better fireworks display.
“We received such a positive response about last year’s larger fireworks finale that we’re doing it again this year,” says Erin Johnson Smith, HDR’s events manager. “The location offers the community more viewing options, and gives us the ability to reschedule the show in case of inclement weather.”
The following locations are recommended for safe viewing:
- Turner Pavilion and Park, 228 S. Liberty St.
- Food Maxx International Market, 924 W. Market St.
- JMU Memorial Hall Parking Lots, 395 S. High St.
- Thomas Harrison Middle School, 1311 W. Market St.
- Westside Baptist Church, 715 W. Wolfe St.
The rain date for the fireworks show is set for July 5, 2018. Updates will be made on Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance’s website and social media pages.
In addition to fireworks, the community is invited to enjoy a full day of Valley Fourth festivities. All events and activities will be held at Tuner Pavilion and Park unless otherwise noted:
- 7AM: Breathe’s Sunrise Circuit
- 8:20 AM: VA Momentum’s Valley Fourth RUN. Register online at www.vamomentum.com.
- 11:30AM, 1:45PM, 4PM: The Lego Movie at Court Square Theater. Children under 3 receive free entry
- Noon: Reading of the Declaration Independence by the Fort Harrison Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution at Court Square
- 1-5PM: Friendly City Fortune $250,000 Raffle. See the full prize list and purchase tickets at www.friendlycityfortune.com
- 1-9PM: Art market, local food trucks, beer garden, craft vendors and kids’ activities
- 2:30PM, 4:00PM, 5:30PM: Friendly City Food Co-op’s Watermelon Seed Spitting Contests for all ages. Sign up begins at 1pm.
- 5:00PM: Heritage Bakery Cake Walk emceed by James Oates
- 5-9PM: Live music by Free Union and Erin and the Wildfire
- 5-9PM: Classic Car Cruise-in. The first 75 cars to enter will receive dash plaques. To enter for free, email email@example.com.
- 6PM: Benny Sorentino’s Pizza Eating Contest emceed by James Oates
- 9:15PM: Fireworks Finale
Valley Fourth, organized and presented by Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance, is the largest community celebration in Harrisonburg, drawing more than 10,000 residents and visitors to downtown each year. All Valley Fourth activities are provided to the public thanks to the support of Friendly City Fortune proceeds and our sponsors: Mark & Harrison, City of Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg Electric Commission, WHSV, Harrisonburg Radio Group, Rockingham County, Steven Toyota, Jack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint, Sustainable Solutions, and Cricket Wireless.
For more information about Valley Fourth, visit www.valleyfourth.com.