Game Preview: ODU at Charlotte
ODU is coming off a 33-19 homecoming win over UTSA, while Charlotte lost at Temple, 48-20.
• The 14 point margin over victory is the biggest against a C-USA opponent since ODU joined the league in 2014. The 19 points given up are the fewest to a Conference USA opponent. Last season ODU defeated UTEP 31-21, the previous largest win margin and lowest point total given up.
• Sophomore running back Jeremy Cox set single-game career highs with 22 carries for 103 yards and two touchdowns. It was his first career 100-yard rushing game.
• Junior wide receiver Jonathan Duhart had his finest game of the season to date, snaring six passes for 86 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
• Quarterback David Washington finished the day 21-of-35 for 207 yards and two touchdowns against UTSA. He also tied his career-high with 69 rushing yards. He did that also against UTSA last season.
• Sophomore wide receiver Travis Fulgham registered a career-best five catches for a total of 55 yards.
• Senior linebacker TJ Ricks notched a team-best 14 tackles, his 11th career double-digit tackle game, and the second most tackles he had in a single-game.
• Senior linebacker Anthony Wilson had 12 tackles and a pair of pass breakups. It was his second career double-digit tackle game.
Cox Runs Wild
Sophomore running back Jeremy Cox had his second-straight solid game, rushing 22 times for 103 yards and two touchdowns in ODU’s win over UTSA. The yards, carries and touchdowns are all career-bests for the sophomore.
Cox had nine carries for 91 yards, including a 65-yard touchdown run last week at NC State. It was the longest run of Cox’s career and the longest offensive play of the season so far for ODU.
Cox missed the game at App State due to an injury, but has rebounded nicely.
Jeremy Cox last two games
|2 Game Totals||31||194||3|
Longest Plays From Scrimmage
|Jeremy Cox Run||65 yards||NC State|
|David Washington to Ray Lawry||59 yards||Hampton|
|Ray Lawry Run||42 yards||App State|
|David Washington Run||41 yards||UTSA|
The ODU defense has been a much improved unit the first four games, and through four games the Monarchs rank third in total defense in Conference USA.
C-USA Total Defense
The Monarch defense has 12 sacks through four games this season, tied for first in Conference USA with WKU.
Eight players have combined for the 12 sacks, led by Anthony Wilson with three.