Emergency food, shelter funds available
The selection was made by the National Board and is chaired by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency and consists of representatives from the American Red Cross, Catholic Charities USA, the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, The Jewish Federations of North America, The Salvation Army and the United Way. The Local board is charged to distribute funds appropriated by Congress to help expand the capacity of food and shelter program in high-need areas around the country.
The Local Board made up of American Red Cross, Salvation Army, United Way, Valley Mission and multiple Religious and community leaders will determine how funds awarded to Augusta, Staunton and Waynesboro are to be distributed among the emergency food and shelter programs run by the local social service agencies in the area. The Local Board is responsible for recommending agencies to receive these fund and any additional funds under this phase of the program.
Under the terms of the grant from the National Board, local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
- Be private voluntary non-profits or unties of government
- Be eligible to receive federal funds
- Have an accounting system
- Practice non discrimination
- Have demonstrated the capacity to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs
- If they are private voluntary organization, they must have a voluntary board.
Qualifying agencies are urged to apply. Augusta, Staunton, Augusta and Waynesboro has distributed funds previously with The Salvation Army and the Verona Food Pantry participating, These agencies were responsible for providing 2,685 meals and 117 nights of lodging.
Public or private voluntary agencies interested in applying for Emergency Food and Shelter Program Funds must contact:
- Cynthia Pritchard
- United Way of Greater Augusts
- 1020 Jefferson Highway,
- Staunton, VA 24401
- phone: 540.885-1229, 540.943.1215
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications to be received is Friday, March 25, by 4 p.m.