No. 13 Virginia (13-3, 2-2 ACC) plays at Florida State (11-5, 1-3 ACC) in Atlantic Coast Conference action on Sunday, Jan. 17. Tipoff at the Donald L. Tucker Center (12,100) is set for 6:30 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
- Virginia meets Florida State for the lone regular-season meeting between the teams in 2015-16.
- UVA has a five-game winning streak against the Seminoles, including a 62-50 win in Tallahassee to open the 2013-14 ACC season.
- As of Jan. 15, UVA is tied for 8th in the ACC at 2-2 and FSU is tied for 10th at 1-3.
- As of Jan. 14, UVA ranks 10th nationally in scoring defense (60.7 ppg), 11th in field goal percentage (49.8%), 13th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.62), 21st in free throw percentage (75.1%) and 23rd in 3-point field goal percentage (39.7%).
- The Virginia-Florida State game will be televised on ESPNU, streamed online at WatchESPN.com and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
- Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 149-67 in seven seasons at UVA and 218-100 in 10 seasons overall.
- Florida State: Leonard Hamilton (Tennessee-Martin, 1971), 247-178 in 14 seasons at Florida State and 447-388 in 28 seasons overall.
Virginia Ranked Nos. 13 and 11 in Latest Polls
- UVA is ranked No. 13 in the latest Associated Press poll and No. 11 in the USA Today Coaches’ poll.
- UVA had been ranked in the top 10 in six consecutive polls.
- UVA was ranked in the top 10 in 25 consecutive AP polls from March 3, 2014 to Nov. 16, 2015, its longest span since 49 straight from 1980-83.
- The Cavaliers’ No. 6 preseason ranking was UVA’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
- Virginia has been ranked in the preseason top-10 in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1981-82 and 1982-83.
All-Time vs. The Seminoles
- Virginia is 23-22 all-time vs. Florida State, including a pair of wins last season, in the series that dates back to 1991-92.
- In 2014-15, UVA defeated Florida State 51-41 in Charlottesville and 58-44 in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament.
- Virginia has won six of the last seven meetings between the teams, including a three-game winning streak at John Paul Jones Arena.
- Head coach Tony Bennett is 6-5 all-time vs. Florida State.
- Malcolm Brogdon is Virginia’s current career leading scorer against Florida State, averaging 10.5 points in six career games.
- Anthony Gill is averaging 9.6 points and 5.8 rebounds in five career games against the Seminoles.
Last Time vs. Florida State
- Evan Nolte scored 11 points, including a trio of 3-pointers, as No. 1 seed Virginia topped No. 9 seed Florida State 58-44 in ACC Tournament quarterfinal action on March 12, 2015.
- Mike Tobey added 11 points and six rebounds, and Malcolm Brogdon added 10 points and a 6-6 effort from the charity strip.
- Xavier Rathan-Mayes led the Seminoles with 13 points on 6-18 shooting from the floor.
- The Cavaliers started 6-6 from the floor en route to a 34-17 halftime lead.
- Florida State cut the margin to 44-39 in the second half, but Virginia outscored the Seminoles 14-5 in the last 7:06 to secure the win.
Last Time Out
- Malcolm Brogdon led four players in double figures with 20 points as No. 13 Virginia beat No. 8 Miami 66-58 on Jan. 12.
- Anthony Gill added 15 points, London Perrantes had 12 and Mike Tobey added 12 as Virginia snapped a two-game losing streak.
- Angel Rodriguez scored 17 points to lead Miami and Sheldon McClellan added 13.
- UVA shot 61.1 percent from the field and 82 percent (15-17) from the charity stripe in the second half.
- Gill had a game-high eight rebounds as UVA enjoyed a 35-27 rebounding advantage.
- Miami was 6-22 (27.3%) from 3-point range and 10-17 (58.8%) from the free throw line in the loss.
On The Horizon
- UVA hosts Clemson on Tuesday, Jan. 19. Tipoff at the John Paul Jones Arena is set for 8 p.m. on the ACC Network.