Men’s soccer: 10th-Seeded UVA, Notre Dame meet in NCAA Tourney third round
Game Coverage: ACC Network Extra is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. Links to the broadcast and live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get in-game updates on the match’s live stats feed on VirginiaSports.com and on the men’s soccer official twitter page (@UVAMenSoccer).
- The two teams played 110 minutes of scoreless soccer on October 23 at Klöckner Stadium. The match was a makeup from a Sept. 14 match postponed due to Hurricane Florence.
- Virginia will play in the round of 16 for the 27th time in program in history and 13th under head coach George Gelnovatch.
- Sunday’s match will be Virginia’s fourth true road game of the season, the Cavaliers won all three of its ACC road games in the regular season.
- No. 13 Notre Dame will be the eighth ranked opponent of the season. UVA is 3-2-2 against ranked foes in 2018.
- The Cavaliers will be vying for its 19th appearance in the NCAA Quarterfinals and first since 2014.
- The winner of Sunday’s match will move on to play the winner of No. 2 seed Indiana and Air Force.
- Sunday will be the third time Notre Dame and Virginia will play in the NCAA Tournament, the Cavaliers have won both previous meetings, a 1-0 win in 2014 at Alumni Stadium and a 3-2 victory in 2006 at Klöckner Stadium.
- Virginia has squared off against Notre Dame more than any other program since 2013. The two teams have met each other multiple times in five of the last six seasons including three times in 2014.
- The Cavaliers own a 7-3-4 advantage in the all-time series are 3-3-4 in the last 10 meetings.
- After Notre Dame won the 2013 National Championship, Virginia dashed hopes of a repeat with a 1-0 victory in the third round and went on to win the 2014 title.