Charlottesville, Albemarle County update weather information
Sand & Sandbags
Albemarle County and Charlottesville would like to thank Luck Stone of Charlottesville for their generous donation of sand.
Beginning Friday, September 14, at 7 am, Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville will be providing free sand and sandbags for residents.
A distribution station has been established at Darden Towe Park, located at 1445 Darden Towe Park Road. The station will be open to the public from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day through the duration of the rain event or until supplies are exhausted.
- Sand and sandbags will only be provided to residents of Albemarle County and Charlottesville (please, no business use).
- Citizens are advised to bring a shovel and a friend to assist with filling the 50-pound string-tied bags.
- A limit of 10 filled sandbags per vehicle.
- Wheelbarrows are available to assist with loading filled sandbags into vehicles.
- In addition, sandbags (without sand) are also available for purchase from Martin Hardware Co. and Southern States. Allied Concrete has sand and pre-filled sandbags for purchase.
Please take a few moments to review information below and create a plan to prepare for the storm.
- Create an emergency kit so you are able to shelter-in-place safely and comfortably. Please remember your four-legged friends!
- Property owners and property managers can reduce the possibility of flooding by keeping all conveyances clear of debris and other obstructions. Remove debris from stormwater grates, inlets, the upstream ends of open pipes and culverts, and the outfall structures of detention basins and ponds. Remove fallen tree limbs and other debris from channels upstream of pipes so this material doesn’t wash downstream and clog the pipes.
- For the latest weather information, visit: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Florence
At this time, the City of Charlottesville, County of Albemarle, and Rivanna Solid Waste Authority facilities are all operating on their regular schedules.
Albemarle County Public Schools will close on Thursday at 6 pm to all activities. Please monitor the Charlottesville City Schools website for any changes (www.charlottesvilleschools.org).