Can you vape on board the plane?
Despite an explosion in the popularity of vaping, many vapors still don’t know all the rules of traveling by air with their electronic cigarettes. Most airlines and airports have only recently established new policies on this subject. If you’re going on vacation and this is your first time flying with an e-cig, you should get prepared.
Usually, passengers can bring smoking devices for personal use in their carry-on baggage or on their person. But using them on board the aircraft is prohibited. There’re several reasons for the vaping ban:
- Over the past few years, there have been numerous reports of lithium-ion batteries catching fire or exploding on planes. Fire is easier to notice and put out if it occurs in the cabin. That’s why lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on baggage only.
- Vaping on board may tempt traditional smokers to smoke real cigarettes.
- A cloud of vapor (which actually looks like smoke) filling a cabin may lead to panic among unsuspecting passengers.
- Electronic cigarettes are comparatively new gadgets and their technology and effect on people remain unknown.
- Other passengers (especially non-smokers) may not want to inhale so-called secondhand e-cig vapor.
Now you know that you won’t be allowed to vape while you’re on board the plane. But it’s OK to take your e-cig with you, providing that you follow some requirements. Read on to discover the rules and general recommendations for transporting your best vape pen or vaping gadget.
The best piece of advice you can get is to plan in advance. Some vaping equipment is quite expensive. Being forced to get rid of your posh vape because of the prohibition to transport it can be a very unpleasant experience. You’d better plan this aspect of your travel beforehand.
1. Check out the specific rules and regulations in the country you’re flying to
Regulations on vapes may vary from country to country. Get to know the policy of your destination before traveling. It is undesirable to take an electronic cigarette through an airport in a country where e-cigs are banned. You could find yourself hit with a fine – or even worse – imprisoned. And you e-cig will be surely confiscated.
In some countries, there’re no vaping rules. Many have provided new e-cigarettes regulations in recent years. Others have banned them entirely. The list of the latter is quite long and includes the parts of the world which are popular with tourists. Here’s a map that will give you a full picture of the situation.
Governments are constantly changing vaping laws. So, be sure to check the latest data.
Also, keep in mind that while in some areas e-cigarettes are illegal this policy may be applied only to those ones that contain nicotine. To avoid the above-listed possible problems, always check and re-check the information.
2. Find out particular airport rules and regulations
Even if the country you’re headed to permits e-cigarettes, a specific airline or airport may explicitly ban using electronic cigarettes, vaporizers, or vape pens on plane flights. It is important to check in advance whether you can bring these items along.
You can either visit the airline’s official website or make a call to find out their policies that regulate e-cigs transportation. Here’re the most common examples:
- Passengers are forbidden to carry electronic cigarettes and vaping devices in their checked bags.
- No vaping on the aircraft.
- It is prohibited to charge e-cig devices on the plane.
- E-juices and e-liquids must be kept in a transparent case and in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 ml.
- You may transport only nicotine-free vape juice.
- Electronic cigarettes are banned for posing a fire risk.
Check with your airline if you’re unsure about the details of vape transportation. It’s better to contact the airport and make inquiries beforehand as websites may not contain all the information leaving out some important details. Besides, new rules and regulations can be introduced at any time. And the information on the website can be out-dated.
3. Get necessary supplies for transporting your e-cig securely
There’re some general recommendations every vape-enthusiast should be aware of. Once you know that you can fly with your vaporizer, get ready for the trip. Here are some handy tips for e-cigarette users.
- Every e-liquid you bring onboard should be stored in 100 ml (3.4 ounces) bottles or less. Even if you take 120 ml e-juice bottle and it is only half-full, you’re breaking the rule.
- Don’t use glass containers as they might easily get broken.
- E-liquid and tank don’t get on with airplane pressure changes. Your e-juice will leak from the tank. So, put them in a clear sealable plastic bag to prevent them from leaking.
- Put the batteries in your carry-on bag. Pack them separately and seal so that they don’t make a fortuitous connection and cause a fire or explosion. It may be a good idea to invest in a battery carrying case.
- The vaping device must be switched off. Disconnect it from the battery. Remember that it is also not allowed to charge the battery during flight.
- Consider getting nicotine replacement products like nicotine gums or patches if you have many hours of flight ahead of you.
These simple rules will help you minimize the hassle of traveling with your vape.
If you’re thinking about stealth vaping on a plane, don’t even try it. You’ll face the risk of being caught by another passenger or a flight attendant. And I’m not sure whether e-cigs can set off a smoke detector in a plane. The situation can end up either with a warning or with e-cig confiscation and a fine. Wait until you land and then take a puff.
About the Author:
Phyllis Baker is the blogger and journalist. Currently, she manages public relations for the quitting smoking community and blogs about drugs rehab, addiction treatment and health issues.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell