Flashing lights to save money in Staunton
Item by Chris Graham
News flash – Staunton city government’s ongoing efforts to save money will mean some changes at several city street intersections.
The traffic lights at a dozen city intersections will be set to flash mode during late-night and early-morning hours beginning the night of Monday, July 28, the city announced today.
Drivers on the major street at each intersection will see a flashing yellow light to alert them to the intersection and to possible entering traffic. Drivers on the less-traveled street at the intersection will see a flashing red light and will have to come to a full stop before proceeding when any traffic in the intersection clears.
The lights at eight intersections will flash from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. Those intersections are:
– Churchville Avenue and Lewis Street.
– Churchville Avenue and Donaghe Street.
– Beverley Street and Central Avenue.
– Beverley Street and New Street.
– Beverley Street and Market Street.
– Frederick Street and Market Street.
– Frederick Street and New Street.
Frederick Street and Central Avenue.
Lights at four other intersections will flash from midnight until 4 a.m.:
– Richmond Road and Powell Street.
– Richmond Road and Community Way.
– Richmond Road and Walmart.
– Richmond Road and Frontier Drive.