Valley League honors players of the week
Item by Chris Graham
Staunton lefty Adam Hoyt was honored by the Valley League as one of its pitchers of the week for his complete-game victory last week over Woodstock.
Hoyt (Radford) struck out seven in the 11-2 Braves win to raise his record to 2-1 on the season with a 2.86 ERA.
Other players honored by the league for their performances last week include …
– Haymarket righthander Chris Greiner (Hartford) gave up six hits and struck out 11 in a complete-game 5-1 win over Harrisonburg.
– Winchester first baseman Tyler Townsend (Florida International) hit .636 with three homers and four RBI in 11 at-bats last week and is hitting .387 with a .489 on-base percentage and .707 slugging percentage on the season.
– Fauquier first baseman Ryan Gauck (Marist) hit .625 last week with a homer, four RBI and seven runs scored. Gauck is hitting .389 this season with a .491 OBP and .568 slugging percentage.
– Luray catcher Steve Stropp (Florida International) hit three home runs and drove in nine runs in 10 at-bats last week.
– Covington utility player Ty Rivers (Radford) had eight hits, two RBI and nine stolen bases in his first week in the league.