Game Notes: Virginia baseball opens 10-game homestand on Tuesday
ACC Network Extra is a dedicated digital channel for ACC sports which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app at no additional charge.
The game can also be heard locally on 1070 AM / 98.9 AM and on WINA.com. Links for the radio broadcast as well as the game’s live stats feed are available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can follow in-game updates on the team’s official twitter page (@UVABaseball).
The contest against ODU is a “$2 Tuesday” where all bottled drinks and 22 oz. fountain sodas will be sold for $2 at the Disharoon Park concession stands.
A special Spring Break ticket promotion is also available. Use the promo code SPRINGBREAK for $5 general admission tickets.
Clear Bag Policy
Consistent with what is already in place at Scott Stadium, John Paul Jones Arena and Klöckner Stadium fans attending games at Disharoon Park this season must adhere to the department’s clear bag policy and entrance procedures. Details of the of the policy can be found here: http://www.virginiasports.com/facilities/clear_bag_Davenport_Klockner.html
Probable Pitching Matchup
- ODU: Ryne Moore (0-0, 1.50 ERA, 12.0 IP, 7 BB, 8 SO)
- UVA: Bobby Nicholson (1-1, 1.66 ERA, 21.2 IP, 9 BB, 21 SO)
- Tuesday’scontest will be the first of a two-game midweek series against the Monarchs. The two teams will square off again on Tuesday, April 24 at Harbor Park in Norfolk.
- ODU owns a 33-28-2 advantage in the all-time series that dates back to 1965. Virginia has claimed the last two meetings but the Monarchs are winners of four of the last six against the Cavaliers.
- After playing six of its last seven games on the road, Virginia opens up a 10-game home stand on Tuesday that includes ACC series against Virginia Tech (April 6-8) and North Carolina (April 13-15).
- The Cavaliers are 4-2 against teams from the Commonwealth this season.
• Virginia comes into Tuesday having won 21 of the last 23 midweek contests including a 5-2 mark this season.
• Against non-conference opponents at home, Virginia has won 31 of its last 35 games.
- Virginia pounded out 18 hits and matched a season-high with 18 runs in an 18-5 win at Disharoon Park onApril 4.
- Pavin Smith hit two home runs including a grand slam in the third inning. He drove in a career-high seven runners in the contest.
- The 18 runs by Virginia were the most ever scored in 63 all-time meetings against the Monarchs.
- Junior Andy Weber leads the team in batting average (.365), runs (22), hits (42), doubles (9), triples (2), RBI (25) and total bases (61).
- He had a career-high 13-game hitting streak come to a close inSunday’sloss at Pitt. It was his second hit streak of 12 or more after closing 2017 with four-straight games with a hit and starting the 2018 season hitting safely in the first eight games.
- Sundayproved to be just his third hitless game of 2018. He has reached base in all but two contest this season.
- In five games last week, Weber was 10-for-21 (.476) five doubles, a triple and seven RBI.
- His 19 hits and two triples in ACC play are the tied for the most amongst his ACC cohorts.
On the Mound
- Bobby Nicholson will make his fourth midweek start of the season for Virginia. In three previous midweek starts, has allowed just two earned runs over 16.2 innings pitched.
- In three of his four starts in 2018 he has pitched at least five innings went a career-high six in a 3-2, no-decision against JMU on March 14. He struck out a career-high seven batters and did not issue a walk.
- Virginia comes into Tuesday’s contest ranked second in the country in strikeouts per nine innings (11.0). The Cavaliers as a staff have fanned 10 or more in 19 of the 28 games this season.
- Led by Derek Casey (63) and Daniel Lynch (58) Cavalier pitchers have struck out 307 batters, the most of any team in the ACC.
- The Virginia offense has struck out an ACC-low, 157 times in 28 games. The Cavaliers fanned 14 times in the three-game set at Pittsburgh.
- With 10 hits in five games last week, Andy Weber vaulted up to the fourth spot in the ACC hit totals with 42.
- The Cavaliers have totaled 29 sacrifice bunts, tied for second-highest total in the country.
- Caleb Knight is tied for second in the country with 13 hit by pitches. He has reached base safely in 26 of the 27 games he’s played in.
- The Monarchs are fresh off an 8-7 walk-off win against Middle Tennessee Stateon Sunday. Kyle Battle hit an inside the park, solo home run.
- ODU comes into Tuesday having two of its last seven games. Both victories have come on back-to-backSunday’sto avoid sweeps gainst FIU and MTSU.
- As a team, the Monarchs are hitting .297, second best in Conference USA and the 23rd highest average in the country.