2019 ACC Tournament Preview: #12 Miami vs. #13 Wake Forest
The two split a pair of games in 2019. Miami defeated the Demon Deacons 76-65 at home on Jan. 12; Wake topped the ‘Canes, 76-75, in Winston-Salem on Feb. 26.
Wake Forest has been playing better of late, winning two of its last six, and losing by one at #3 seed Duke last week in Durham.
Miami is also playing better down the stretch, going 4-5 in its last nine game, including a 65-64 win over #9 seed Clemson on Feb. 13.
Players to watch: Miami
- Miami’s success revolves around 5’7” sophomore guard Chris Lykes, who averages 16.2 points per game, on 41 percent shooting from the field, and 31.5 percent from three-point range.
- Anthony Lawrence Jr., a 6’7” senior, averages 12.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, on 45.7 percent shooting from the floor and 35 percent shooting from three.
- Zach Johnson, a 6’2” senior, averages 12.1 points a game, shooting 39.2 percent from the floor and 30 percent from three.
Players to watch: Wake Forest
- Brandon Childress, a 6’ junior, averages a team-best 14.7 points and 4.0 assists per game, shooting 38.5 percent from the field and 36.4 percent on threes.
- Jaylen Hoard, a 6’8” freshman, averages 13.0 points and 7.6 rebounds a game, shooting 45.2 percent from the floor, but just 21.1 percent from three.
- Chaundee Brown, a 6’5” sophomore, averages 11.9 points and 5.0 rebounds per game, shooting 40.6 percent from the floor, and 32.6 percent on threes.
KenPom.com says: Miami 74, Wake Forest 67 (27 percent chance of Wake Forest winning)
Preview by Chris Graham
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell