Home Albemarle County: Two people, dog escape through window after early-morning apartment fire
Local, Public Safety

Albemarle County: Two people, dog escape through window after early-morning apartment fire

spring court apartment fire albemarle county
Image courtesy Albemarle County Department of
Fire Rescue

Two people and their dog are safe after evacuating through a window Tuesday morning due to a fire in their ground-floor apartment.

Albemarle County Fire Department career and volunteer units and the Charlottesville Fire Department were dispatched to a residential apartment building on Spring Court at 6:43 a.m.

The first apparatus arrived on the scene four minutes after dispatch and reported fire conditions in the unit.

Crews quickly evacuated the adjacent apartments and extinguished the fire limiting the damage to one apartment.

The displaced residents are being assisted by family members and the American Red Cross.

The Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the accidental fire was caused by an electrical failure of a power strip.

The estimated loss is $70,000.

Crystal Graham

Crystal Graham

Crystal Abbe Graham is the regional editor of Augusta Free Press. A 1999 graduate of Virginia Tech, she has worked for nearly 25 years as a reporter and editor for several Virginia publications, written a book, and garnered more than a dozen Virginia Press Association awards for writing and graphic design. She was the co-host of "Viewpoints," a weekly TV news show, and co-host of Virginia Tonight, a nightly TV news show. Her work on "Virginia Tonight" earned her a national Telly award for excellence in television.