Tim Kaine co-sponsors gun safety legislation in Senate
U.S. Senator Tim Kaine joined U.S. Senator Bob Menendez and Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty (D-CT) today to introduce the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, a common-sense bill that bans the importation, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of magazines that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition and are designed for shooting en masse.
“It’s clear from the tragedies at Virginia Tech, Newtown, and far too many other horrific shootings in our nation’s history that we must take action to protect our communities,” said Senator Kaine, who led efforts to improve Virginia’s background check system and curb incidences of gun violence and mass shootings as Governor following the Virginia Tech tragedy. “I’m proud to co-sponsor this commonsense legislation to improve public safety and help prevent future tragedies.”
The full text of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act can be downloaded here. In addition to prohibiting large-capacity ammunition magazines, the Act includes the below provisions:
- Provides limited exceptions for devices possessed before enactment, for certain current and former law enforcement personnel, for certain Atomic Energy personnel and purpose, for tubular devices that can only accept .22 rimfire ammunition, and for certain authorized testing or experimentation;
- Includes important updates, previously added by late-Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, including modification of the high capacity definition to prevent coupled or joined magazines and other provisions discussed elsewhere;
- Authorizes a buyback programs for high capacity magazines using Byrne JAG grants;
- Requires devices manufactured after enactment to have conspicuous serial numbers and date of manufacture to help law enforcement identify restricted magazines;
- Harmonizes forfeiture provisions for magazines with current law; currently FBI and ATF can seize and destroy certain firearms but not high capacity magazines.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns found that in mass shootings from January 2009 to January 2013, 123 percent more people were shot and 54 percent more people were killed when assault weapons or large capacity magazines were used.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell