Augusta County Courthouse highway marker dedication set for July 28
The speakers for the ceremony will be Chief Judge W. Chapman Goodwin, 25th Circuit, and G.L. “Butch” Wells, vice chairman of the Augusta County Board of Supervisors.
The highway marker was approved on March 18, by the Virginia Board of Historic Resources. The Virginia Historical Highway Marker program documents facts, persons, events, and places prominently identified with the history of the nation, state, or region.
The Department of Historic Resource’s purpose in erecting markers is to educate the public about Virginia’s history, not to honor, memorialize, or commemorate persons, events, or places. Because highway markers are not honorific in nature, they do not serve the same purpose as monuments, statues, memorial plaques, or war memorials. There are currently more than 2,500 markers located across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The program is among the oldest in the nation and began in 1927.