Home Waynesboro Greenway expansion to begin this summer

Waynesboro Greenway expansion to begin this summer

waynesboroThe next segment of the South River Greenway in Waynesboro will be under construction this summer.

The next phase, entitled 2A, will start at the Dominion Shelter in Constitution Park and continue north .3 miles to the historic Port Republic neighborhood. Although short in distance, this section, once complete, will allow patrons to cross under both the Main and Broad Street bridges, pass over a large storm water outfall, and safely pass under the active railroad.

The 10-foot asphalt path will be both walker and biker friendly and provide close access to the South River for fishing and boating. Benches and additional tree plantings along the route will enhance the visitor’s experience.

The project is funded at 80 percent from the Virginia Department of Transportation’s former TEA-21 federal grant program. The remaining 20 percent match is funded by the City of Waynesboro. The cost of construction and inspections will be just over $500,000.

S&K Excavation, from Goshen, has been awarded the construction bid. They were also the contractors of the current Greenway.

The first phase of the South River Greenway was dedicated in March 2012 and runs for .88 miles along the South River from the Loth Springs Parking area on Arch Avenue behind the YMCA, to the Dominion Shelter in Constitution Park.

This important community project represents considerable effort and dedication by citizens and city staff to achieve the ultimate goal of connecting the South River to downtown and multiple city parks while providing additional recreational and economic development opportunities.



Have a guest column, letter to the editor, story idea or a news tip? Email editor Chris Graham at [email protected]. Subscribe to AFP podcasts on Apple PodcastsSpotifyPandora and YouTube.