What skills do you need to become an SEO professional
By now almost everyone has probably heard the three all-important words in the digital world – search engine optimization (SEO). If you haven’t, then it’s high time you familiarize yourself with all thing’s SEO, as search engine optimization is a crucial part of a marketing strategy and is an absolute must in today’s modern online world of marketing.
The tasks of an SEO professional can seem daunting at first for a beginner, but keep in mind that this is a much sought-after skill and is an exciting career choice. If you’re not an SEO beginner and have a basic understanding of what this job entails, you probably won’t have a solid understanding of this multifaceted profession.
Once you’ve chosen to pursue a career in SEO it’s important to kick-start your job prospects by completing a digital marketing course as there are many practical tips and techniques for SEO beginners, such as understanding how browsers user search engines, to continually keep content interesting and read the latest blogs on SEO.
What does SEO comprise of?
We know SEO is important, but what does search engine optimization (SEO) comprise of?
SEO is made up of a few different elements, all of which are important, however, the most important SEO element is attracting more traffic to your site and to ultimately convert this traffic to customers. SEO is also a great tool to boost brand awareness, build relationships, increase engagement and client base.
The daily world of an SEO professional
To be a successful SEO professional requires a number of varied skills from several backgrounds, such as good interpersonal skills, writing skills, advertising knowledge and even some design skills. Sometimes an SEO professional may be required to have basic programming skills as well, however, this usually isn’t a pre-requisite.
So, it’s safe to say that an SEO professional has to be an ‘all-rounder’.
A career in SEO will involve, but is not limited to, the following areas:
- Content creation – It’s critical to maintain high standards of content creation as this top quality content will not only attract but also retain your audience. Content must be interesting as well as informative. Top-notch copywriting skills are a must for an SEO professional.
- Search engine marketing – Otherwise known as SEM, means paid marketing such as Google AdWords, social media ads, pay-per-click and display ads. Search engine marketing is a useful SEO tool as it allows you to reach highly targeted audiences.
- Keyword research and optimal selection – Optimal keyword selection is crucial in all aspects of SEO. It’s important to correctly research keywords and look for ones with high search rates and low competition.
- Off-page optimization – This form of SEO skills involves external optimization that is not included on your website, such as backlink building. Top-quality backlinks inform search engines that your site is of high quality.
- SERP Ranking – Ranking on the search engine results pages is often seen as the Holy Grail of SEO. The higher your ranking the easier potential customers can find you when searching for a product or service.
- Technical and programming – Some basic HTML coding for an SEO professional may help with on-page SEO however this is not a requirement.
- Research – Having a knack for conducting research is a great skill and is needed in all aspects of SEO, from creating captivating content to targeting a specific audience.
- Conversion rate optimization – Otherwise known as CRO, this is the practice of increasing converting visitors to completed an action on a site. This can be tricky, as this action will more than likely involve the site visitor to complete a transaction or sign up for a service.
- Analytical skills – This is one of the most important skills of a successful SEO professional. Being able to accurately track and measure the value of organic and inorganic traffic is key to understanding all the principles of good a good SEO strategy.
Types of content creation that’s involved in SEO
There are many forms of content that is a part of SEO, however, all content must be relevant, engaging and informative.
Here are a few types of shareable content:
- Website content
- Social media