Home VMI men’s soccer battles to 2-2 draw with Howard

VMI men’s soccer battles to 2-2 draw with Howard


vmi_logo2It took two goals while trailing, but the Virginia Military Institute men’s soccer team played visiting Howard University to a 2-2 draw Saturday afternoon at Patchin Field. Junior Travis Borkey potted his second career goal against the Bison to level the match.

Howard took leads of 1-0 and 2-1 before Borkey netted his first of the season in the 77th minute, scoring the goal that forced VMI’s first extra time game at Patchin Field since a 1-1 draw with NJIT on Sept. 6, 2013.

Hunter Morgan got on the board for VMI (1-4-1), scoring an equalizer in the 41st minute for a 1-1 halftime score. The Bison jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute as Warren Dennis scored on a Jordan Rice assist. Howard also got a goal from Raynard Storey in the 59th minute for a 2-1 advantage.

The Brothers Hartman, Alex and Brandon, each logged assists in the final non-conference game in Lexington this season. Brandon, along with Alec Rich, had an assist on the Morgan goal, while Alex had the dish for Borkey’s tying mark.

Shots were close throughout the game, with Howard (0-8-1) taking 14 while the Keydets managed 12, led by Borkey and Morgan, who took three apiece. Each team put five chances on goal, with netminders Zach Kaplan and Eric Hamilton making three saves for VMI and Howard, respectively.

It was a foul-fest in Lexington as the teams combined for 41 fouls, 24 against Howard and 17 against VMI. Four Keydets were booked for cards, with Alex Hartman picking up two yellows. He will miss VMI’s non-conference game at Wake Forest University next week.

VMI, which is 1-0-4 in its last five games with Howard, took six corner kicks on the day, while the Bison earned five during the 10th meeting between the schools.

The game started slowly, with each team struggling to put shots on goal. The Bison took six attempts in the opening 45 minutes, while VMI managed five, but only three of the 11 shots made it on goal, including the two goals. Kaplan made one save for the Keydets in the first half.\

Howard jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute as Dennis scored the Bison’s first goal since August 31 against George Washington University. Rice was credited with the assist after sending in a long cross from near the right corner to the back post.

But the Keydets answered before the end of the stanza as Morgan scored his first goal this season and VMI’s first at home. Rich controlled the ball through several Bison defenders before slipping a pass to Brandon Hartman, who then directed a pass flat through the Howard penalty area to the foot of Morgan, who tapped home the equalizer. The assists were career firsts for Rich and Hartman, and the first goal of Morgan’s Keydet career.

Early in the second half, Howard broke the tie as Storey collected a clearing attempt from a Keydet defender that was poorly handled. Story drove his attempt towards the right post to put the Bison up 2-1.

However, Borkey came up big in the 79th, pushing across the tying goal on Alex Hartman’s pass. After Hartman sent in a corner kick, Howard cleared the box, but Hartman regained possession and sent in another cross, tipped home by Borkey. Last season, Borkey lifted VMI to a 2-1 overtime win on the road over Howard.

The Keydets hit the road for their next contest, heading to Winston-Salem, N.C. for a game at Wake Forest. Kickoff between the Southern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference schools is set for 7 p.m. at the Demon Deacons’ Spry Stadium.



Have a guest column, letter to the editor, story idea or a news tip? Email editor Chris Graham at [email protected]. Subscribe to AFP podcasts on Apple PodcastsSpotifyPandora and YouTube.