UVA wrestler DiCamillo’s run ends at NCAA Championships
UVA redshirt junior George DiCamillo (Highland Heights, Ohio) came just short of All-America honors on Friday (March 18), dropping an 8-6 decision to Utah Valley’s Jade Rauser in the Round of 12 at the NCAA Championships.
DiCamillo built a 5-0 lead on Rauser heading into the third period, but the Wolverine senior mounted a furious comeback for the win. Rauser capped the win with a two-point near fall at the buzzer for the 8-6 decision. DiCamillo secured the riding time point for the final margin.
“That was as tough a match as I’ve ever been a part of because of the way George came out of the gates and the way it ended,” said Virginia head coach Steve Garland. “It’s unfortunate he got put on his back with a big move there in the third period and couldn’t pull it out. George has impacted me, and our program, in such a big way. It just hurts to see this season end this way for him.
“The ‘no regrets’ approach we take to things in our program is what will get us through this,” Garland said. “We go out every day and do things the right way and will continue to always do things the right way whether we raise the hand in victory or have a tough loss like tonight. We will come back tomorrow and continue to do things the right way, but we will analyze what we need to do to keep improving going forward to change the outcome for the next time.”
DiCamillo was one of five Cavaliers in the NCAA Championships this season. He advanced to the Round of 12 for the second consecutive season this year. DiCamillo finished the season with 29 wins and is closing in on the top 15 in career wins at UVA with 90. He is one shy of tying Garland and Nick Nelson who each had 91 career wins.
125: Nick Hermann
- 1st Round: No. 15 seed David Terao (American) dec. Herrmann (UVA), 8-6
- Conso Rd. 1: Alfredo Rodriguez (SIU-Edwardsville) dec. Herrmann (UVA), 4-3
133: No. 6 Seed George DiCamillo
- 1st Round: DiCamillo (UVA) dec. Dalton Brady (Az State), 8-4
- 2nd Round: DiCamillo (UVA) dec. No. 11 seed Dom Forys (Pitt), 4-3
- Quarterfinals: No. 3 seed Zane Richards (Illinois) major dec. DiCamillo (UVA), 12-4
- Conso. Rd. 4: Jade Rauser (Utah Valley) dec. DiCamillo (UVA), 8-6
157: Andrew Atkinson
- 1st Round: No. 9 seed Richie Lewis (Rutgers) dec. Atkinson (UVA), 7-3
- Conso. Pigtail: Spartak Chino (Ohio) dec. Atkinson (UVA), 2-1
197: No. 14 seed Zach Nye
- 1st Round: Nye (UVA) dec. Anthony Abro (Eastern Michigan), 6-3
- 2nd Round: No. 3 seed Brett Pfarr (Minnesota) major dec. Nye (UVA), 15-1
- Conso. Rd 2: Nye (UVA) dec. Owen Scott (Cornell), 8-2
- Conso. Rd. 3: No. 6 seed Jared Haught (VT) dec. Nye (UVA), 2-1
285: Patrick Gillen
- 1st Round: No. 5 seed Adam Coon (Michigan) fall Gillen (UVA), 4:22
- Conso. Rd. 1: No. 12 seed Billy Smith (Rutgers) dec. Gillen (UVA), 9-4