Y swim team excels at Maryland Winterfest
The following 30 SMAC swimmers qualified and competed in the highly competitive meet: Keegan Abar, Jessie Arnold, Matt Bihl, Peyton Brooks, Lexi Campbell, Bobby Carey, Chris Carmagnola, Lindsey Carter, Anna Corley, Jessie Dugan, Alexander Flowers, Jack Fridley, Olivia Heeb, CJ Higdon, Colleen Higgens, Norah Hunt, Steven Jenny, Caleb Johnson, Scout McDevitt, Hunter McMillon, Jordan Miller, Alex Rayle, Brazil Rule, Remedy Rule, Charlotte Rumsey, Savannah Scarbrough, Max Tempkin, Benton Turner, Robbie Turner and Gannon Willcutts.
SMAC swimmers had 86 lifetime best times at the meet after completing intense training over the Christmas break and without having any rest prior to the meet. Those swimmers having at least five lifetime best times were: Peyton Brooks
- Alexander Flowers
- Colleen Higgens
- Alex Rayle
- Remedy Rule
- Max Tempkin
- Gannon Willcutts
So many best times at a meet at this time in the season bodes well for SMAC for the upcoming short course (25-yard pools) championship meets starting in late February and continuing through early April.
SMAC had 14 swimmers finish in the top 10 of at least event. The swimmers were:
- Jessie Arnold: ninth in the 200 back, 200 fly, and 200 IM and third in the 500 free. Arnold’s 200 back, 200 fly and 500 free were all AAAA times
- Peyton Brooks: third 100 fly, sixth 200 IM, fourth 100 back and seventh 50 fly
- Alexander Flowers: 10th 200 free, sixth 500 free
- Olivia Heeb: 10th 100 breast
- CJ Higdon: third 200 fly, fifth 500 free
- Colleen Higgens: eighth 50 breast
- Norah Hunt: third 500 free, fourth 100 fly, fifth 200 free and all of these swims were AAAA times
- Caleb Johnson: eighth 200 Free and 200 IM
- Hunter McMillon: ninth 200 fly
- Alex Rayle: 10th 200 IM, ninth 200 breast
- Brazil Rule: eighth 500 free
- Charlotte Rumsey: 10th 50 breast, fifth 100 breast
- Max Tempkin: fourth 200 fly
- Remedy Rule: fourth 400 IM and first in 100 back, 100 fly, 50 free, 500 free and 200 IM. All of her swims were AAAA times. Rule set four new SMAC records in the meet. She lowered the record in the 100 back to 57.12, the 100 fly to 57.64, the 400 IM to 4:32.87 and the 200 IM to 2:06.51. Three of the records were held by Ginny Griffith since 1984, and one was set last year by Olivia Shon.
For more information regarding SMAC swimming, contact coach Norm Wright, director of competitive swimming at the Waynesboro Y, at 540.942.5107 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about SMAC, go online at www.smacswimming.org.