augusta free press news

Suspect in custody after police chase ends on I-81 in Augusta County

Grim William WalterA police chase that began in New Market ended on Interstate 81 in Augusta County Wednesday evening with the suspect in custody.

Deputies from Shenandoah County and officers from New Market Police Department were attempting to serve a capias from Shenandoah Circuit Court on William Walter Grim Jr. when Grim told officers that he was not going back to jail and sped off.

Grim, who was being sought on charges of violating a protective order and obstruction of justice by force, fled into Rockingham County, and then headed toward Augusta County. Deputies from Augusta County got involved at the 227 mile marker on Interstate 81 southbound in Verona.

Grim stopped his vehicle at the 225 mile marker, and when the deputies exited their police cruisers, Grim tried to run one of them over and sped off again.  Deputies got him stopped a second time at mile maker 224.5. Grim immediately rammed a police crusier that was still occuppied by a deputy, then put his vehicle in reverse and rammed a second police cruiser.

Grim went back and forth between the two cruisers, striking each of them twice.  The deputies exited the vehicle and fired their weapons at Grim’s vehicle striking the tires in an attempt to disable the vehicle.  Deputies used a rifle and impact weapons to knock out the windows of the vehicle.  The officer from New Market deployed the taser and the suspect was taken into custody.

One of the Augusta County deputies and Grim were taken to Augusta Health and were treated for minor injuries and released.

Grim was charged for felony eluding law enforcement, four counts of assault and battery on law enforcement, and reckless driving.  The warrant from Shenandoah County Circuit Court was also served.  Additional warrants were served from Shenandoah County for felony eluding, assault and battery on law enforcement, and obstruction of justice.

Grim is being held without bond at the Middle River Regional Jail.

The Virginia State Police, Augusta County Fire and Rescue, Staunton Augusta Rescue Squad, New Market Police all assisted with this incident.