Home Court denies 23XI Racing request for rehearing in NASCAR charter case
Etc.

Court denies 23XI Racing request for rehearing in NASCAR charter case

Rod Mullins
nascar
Photo: Andrew Mullins/AFP

23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports could lose their charter status and be forced to compete as open teams as soon as next week’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover Motor Speedway after the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals denied their request for a rehearing Wednesday.

The decision means both teams would receive significantly less prize money per race and would not be guaranteed starting spots.

However, a full field of cars is not anticipated for many upcoming races.


ICYMI


“We are disappointed by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals decision to deny our request for a full rehearing,” Jeffrey Kessler, attorney for 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports, said in a statement. “This decision has no bearing on the strength of our antitrust case, which we look forward to presenting at trial. We are committed to racing this season as we continue to fight for more competitive and fair terms for all teams to ensure the future of the sport, and remain fully confident in our case.”

Kessler’s statement echoes comments made by Hamlin on June 7 at Michigan, where he affirmed 23XI Racing’s commitment to racing this season even if it became an open team.

“Same as what we said in December, is that we’re committed to run this season open if we have to, even before they decided on the injunction,” Hamlin said then. “So, we’re going to race and fulfill all of our commitments, no matter what. We’re here to race. Our team is going to be here for the long haul, and we’re confident of that.”

Hamlin’s remarks followed a June 5 ruling by a three-judge appellate panel that vacated a preliminary injunction. That injunction had allowed 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports to compete as chartered teams despite not signing the charter agreement last year.

The teams had requested a rehearing from the full Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals on June 20. Had they not, the three-judge panel’s decision would have taken effect a week later.

With Wednesday’s order, the appellate panel’s decision to vacate the preliminary injunction will go into effect next week, potentially impacting the six cars belonging to 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports before the July 20 Dover race.

michael jordan nascar
Photo: © Grindstone Media Group/Shutterstock

23XI Racing, co-owned by Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan, fields chartered teams for drivers Tyler Reddick, Bubba Wallace and rookie Riley Herbst. Front Row Motorsports has chartered cars for Todd Gilliland, Zane Smith and Noah Gragson.

“We’re all just focused on our jobs and allowing the lawyers to kind of take care of that side,” Smith told NBC Sports on Wednesday afternoon. “We’re racers, not lawyers. I don’t know anything about that so I’m not going to act like I do. We’re excited to compete.”

He added, “With this charter change, we often don’t see 40-plus cars (per race), so I don’t know what it will look like … but I know I’ll still have the same tools every Saturday for practice and qualifying and same for the race, and my seat is not going to change. Just trying to stack up some good runs and hopefully get (Front Row Motorsports car owner) Bob Jenkins a win here shortly.”

23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports initially sought the injunction last year to operate as chartered teams, unlike 13 other Cup organizations that signed the charter agreement. The two teams refused to sign due to a clause prohibiting teams from suing NASCAR. They argued that losing charter status could lead to the loss of sponsors and drivers.

During his argument for the preliminary injunction last November, Kessler highlighted the potential impact, stating, “So, right here, for example, 23XI has a driver who might be the champion this year. He will be in the finals next week. Says if we do not have a charter, he is free to leave. He could be the number one driver. We will never be able to get him back if we do not have a charter.”

U.S. District Court Judge Kenneth D. Bell granted the preliminary injunction on Dec. 18, noting in his opinion that “NASCAR fans (and members of the public who may become fans) have an interest in watching all the teams compete with their best drivers and most competitive teams.”

A three-judge federal appellate panel indicated its likely decision during a May 9 hearing. One judge stated during the hearing, “If you don’t want the contract, you don’t enter into it and you sue. Or if you want the contract, you enter into it and you’ve given up past releases. But … you can’t have your cake and eat it too.”

This matter is part of a larger lawsuit filed by 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports against NASCAR and NASCAR CEO Jim France.

The case is scheduled for trial on Dec. 1.

Support AFP




Rod Mullins

Rod Mullins

Rod Mullins covers NASCAR for Augusta Free Press. Rod is the co-host of the “Street Knowledge” podcasts focusing on NASCAR with AFP editor Chris Graham, and is the editor of Dickenson Media. A graduate of UVA-Wise, Rod began his career in journalism as a reporter for The Cumberland Times, later became the program director/news director/on-air morning show host for WNVA in Norton, Va., and in the early 1990s served as the sports information director at UVA-Wise and was the radio “Voice of the Highland Cavaliers” for football and basketball for seven seasons. In 1995, Rod transitioned to public education, where he has worked as a high school English, literature, and creative writing teacher.

Latest News

henry zatkowski uva baseball
Baseball

UVA Baseball: ‘Hoos get past Duke, 6-4, to advance in ACC tourney

staunton
Local

Staunton: New pool house set to open with start of summer swimming season

The City of Staunton is going all out to mark the start of the summer season, with a grand opening for the new Gypsy Hill Park Pool House set for Saturday. The new single-story facility replaces the original 1958 pool house, which had reached the end of its functional life due to structural issues and deteriorating infrastructure. Key...

Larry Bushart
Politics, U.S. & World

Tennessee man jailed for posting anti-Trump meme settles suit against sheriff

The Tennessee man who spent 37 days in jail for posting an anti-Trump meme on Facebook settled his suit against the county sheriff for a lot less than I would have.

fueling up at gas station
Politics, U.S. & World

Gas price forecast: $4.80 a gallon through the summer months

college football
Football

NAACP calling on Black athletes to boycott Southern states over racial gerrymandering

swimming
Etc.

UVA Swimming: DeSorbo announces new associate head coach

prescription drug pills on pile of money
Politics, Virginia

Spanberger tries, and fails, to explain Affordable Medicine Act veto