No. 8 UVA(2-0) hosts South Carolina State (0-2) in non-conference action on Tuesday (Nov. 18). Tipoff at the John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m. The Cavaliers have a 12-game home winning streak, and have defeated James Madison (79-51) and Norfolk State (67-39) in non-conference play in 2014-15.
The Virginia-South Carolina State game will be televised on Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, streamed online on ESPN3.com and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network. Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com, as well as the Virginia Sports app, which is available free of charge through iTunes.
Single-game tickets for the Virginia-South Carolina State contest may be purchased online at VirginiaSports.com/tickets or through the Virginia Athletics Ticket Office by telephone and in person. The ticket office is located in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium and open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Telephone purchases can be made by calling 1-800-542-UVA1 (8821) or locally at 434-924-UVA1 (8821).Tickets may also be purchased on game day at the JPJ box office starting at 5:30 p.m.
Virginia-South Carolina State Series
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 108-60 in six seasons at UVa and 177-93 in nine seasons overall.
South Carolina State: Murray Garvin (Eastern Kentucky, 1998), 11-29 in two seasons at SCSU.
Virginia Remains No. 9 in Latest AP Poll
- UVa is ranked No. 9 in the latest Associated Press and USA Today coaches’ polls.
- The Cavaliers were ranked No. 9/8 in the AP and USA Today preseason coaches’ polls.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking is UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
- Virginia was ranked in the preseason rankings in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2000-01 and 2001-02.
- UVa’s No. 3 final AP ranking last season marked its highest final ranking since 1982.
- Rookie Marial Shayok added a season-high eight points off the bench and Anthony Gill had a game-high eight rebounds and career-best three blocked shots
- London Perrantes (7 points, 4 assists) & Evan Nolte (5 points) returned to the lineup after missing the season-opener at James Madison.
- Virginia built a 33-point lead and limited Norfolk State to just 23.5 percent (12-51) shooting from the floor.
- UVa owned a 41-31 advantage on the glass and blocked 11 shots and had 19 assists in the win.