A 911 call came in at approximately 9:28pm for a motor vehicle accident where a vehicle that was later found to be occupied by a 70-year-old male was struck by another vehicle described as a red Honda Civic at Rosser Avenue and Lew Dewitt Boulevard. The suspect vehicle also hit the guardrail at the scene and fled southbound.
Within five minutes, a 2nd 911 call came in for another motor vehicle accident that just occurred at P. Buckley Moss Drive and Town Center Drive. The vehicle struck there had minor children inside it. The suspect vehicle, again described as a red Honda Civic, left that scene as well and was last seen heading southbound leaving the city limits. No injuries were reported by the occupants of the struck vehicles.
Officers from Waynesboro Police, the Augusta County Sheriff’s Office and Virginia State Police continued to search the area and were led by witnesses to an area off of Shalom Road in Augusta County where the red Honda Civic and driver were located within an hour of the incidents.
Mark R. Jones, 22 years old from Stuarts Draft was subsequently arrested. As a result of the crash investigations, he was charged with the following offenses:
– 1 count of 18.2-266 Misdemeanor DUI
– 1 count of 18.2-268.3 Misdemeanor Refuse Breath Test
– 2 counts 46.2-894 Felony Hit and Run
– 3 counts of 46.2-301 Misdemeanor Driving Suspended
– 1 traffic summons for 46.2-833 Disregarding a Traffic Light
– 1 traffic summons for 46.2-830 Fail to Obey Highway Markings