Two Nelson County residents face multiple charges after turning themselves in to Virginia State Police Thursday (May 12, 2016).
William D. Brooks, 54, of Shipman, Va., and Rebecca Adcock, 58, of Piney River, Va., were arrested Thursday and released on their own recognizance.
In November 2015, the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s Appomattox Field Office initiated an investigation into the allegation that Brooks, while employed by the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, directed members of the sheriff’s office to use public funds to conduct a non-law enforcement investigation in the City of Lynchburg in October 2013.
Adcock was employed by the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office and was actively involved in the “investigation.”
A multi-jurisdictional grand jury handed up the following indictments as a result of the investigation:
- 1 felony count of embezzlement by officer of public funds
- 1 misdemeanor count of unlawful videotaping of another
- 1 misdemeanor count of unlawful dissemination of a video of another
- 1 misdemeanor count of malfeasance
- 1 misdemeanor of unlawful videotaping of another
- 1 misdemeanor count of obstruction of justice
The incident remains under investigation.