The Friends group and the Blue Ridge Parkway have organized a full day celebration picnic at the Humpback Rocks Picnic area, Milepost 8.5 on the parkway. The event is free and open to the public. Among the events scheduled are old time music performers, dancers, hikes and games. Picnickers should bring their own food and a chair to listen to music.
“We are so pleased that the community is responding enthusiastically to this event,” said Sandy Gallagher, who chairs the committee organizing the picnic.
The schedule is as follows:
- 11:00 am Welcome and Introduction (National Park Service Interpretive Ranger Peter Hamel)
- 11:15 Old Time Band — Mutton Busters
- 11:30 Hike to Overlook
- 12:00 pm Dulcimer Music – Dinah Ansley
- 12:30 Sack Race
- 1:00 Old Time Music –Pete and Ellen Vigour
- 1:30 Hike to the Appalachian Trail
- 1:45 Three-Legged Race
- 2:15 Irish Step Dancers
- 2:45 Hike to Overlook
- 3:00 Irish Stories — Clann Mohr – Kevin Donleavy –
- 3:30 Dulcimer Dinah —Dina Ansley
- 4:00 Wrap-up and good-bye