“We are happy that Republicans are supporting many of our initiatives to build the New Virginia Economy,” said David J. Toscano, Democratic Leader. “But if they want to create jobs right away, their first step would be to expand Medicaid and create 30,000 healthcare jobs right here in the Commonwealth. Their second step should have been streamlining compliance with the Clean Power Plan, which has the potential to create 12,600 jobs for Virginians.”
Among issues raised by Democrats:
- Expanding Medicaid in Virginia would create 30,000 new healthcare jobs in the Commonwealth.
- Compliance with the Clean Power Plan has the potential to create 12,600 new clean energy and climate security jobs in the Commonwealth.
- Equal pay for equal work is necessary in Virginia: women make 79 cents for every dollar a man makes in the Commonwealth.
- Ensuring paid family and medical leave helps workers and their families maintain their economic security while still being able to take care of themselves or their families.
- Raising the minimum wage will stimulate the economy by raising the spending power of the lowest earners in Virginia.
“In addition to job creation, House Democrats staunchly support a healthy, viable workforce, where workers can afford to support their families,” said Charniele Herring, Democratic Caucus Chair. “Guaranteeing equal pay for equal work, ensuring availability of paid family and medical leave, and raising the minimum wage would help ensure every Virginian has a fair opportunity to work and live in Virginia.”