#8 Virginia wins heavyweight battle with #12 Villanova, 86-75
UVA (9-1) led 33-29 at the half, but the Wildcats (8-2) opened the second half with a 7-0 run, and led 40-37 with 15:15 to go.
A stickback by Mike Tobey ignited an 18-3 stretch over the next six minutes that pushed the ‘Hoos to a double-digit lead.
‘Nova closed to within three at 65-62 with 4:32 left on a three by Kris Jenkins, but London Perrantes responded with a three on Virginia’s next possession to start a run that would get the game back to double-digits.
A Jalen Brunson three-pointer with 47 seconds left cut the Virginia lead to 79-75, but two free throws by Malcolm Brogdon made it 81-75, and Brunson missed on the Cats’ next possession to start the march to the foul line.
- Anthony Gill had 22 points on 8-of-9 shooting from the field to lead Virginia. Malcolm Brogdon had 20 points, including a perfect 12-for-12 from the line.
- London Perrantes had 19 points for UVA, which shot 56.5 percent from the field (26-of-46) and a blistering 66.7 percent (8-of-12) from three-point range.
- Villanova shot 49.1 percent for the game (26-of-53), but was just 43.8 percent (14-of-32) in the second half.
- Kris Jenkins led the Wildcats with 23 points.
- UVA had a 31-19 rebound advantage.
- The Cavs shot 26-of-30 from the free-throw line. Villanova was 13-for-17 at the stripe.