WPD announces awards, promotions
The Waynesboro Police Department held its Third Quarter Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, Nov. 3. Chief Michael Wilhelm awarded five Departmental Commendations and one Lifesaving Medal. In addition, five newly promoted supervisors were pinned during a promotion ceremony.
The award recipients were as follows:
- Receiving the Life Saving Medal was Sgt. Brian Edwards for actions taken on June 11, 2011 while working the Soap Box Derby. At approximately 1300 hrs a male collapsed near the top of Main Street Hill and Sgt. Edwards responded to the scene and provided CPR for the victim until arrival of personnel from the Waynesboro Fire Department and First Aid Crew. His quick action saved the life of the victim, who was able to be present for yesterday’s ceremony.
- Receiving the Departmental Commendation Ribbon was Detective Sue Vance and Detective Alyssa Campbell for exceptional performance from July 4-7 during the course of an investigation into two related burglaries of the Sunoco Station located at 1175 E. Main Street.
- Receiving the Departmental Commendation Ribbon was Detective Ben Lemons for exceptional performance over several months while multi-tasking multiple special assignments relating to departmental training and equipment maintenance while also maintaining an active Investigations case load.
- Receiving the Departmental Commendation Ribbon was Detective Christopher Hilliard for exceptional performance on April 15, 2011. While working night shift Detective Hilliard became involved in the investigation of several Commercial Burglaries in the downtown area that resulted in significant property damage. He identified two juvenile suspects, obtained confessions and placed a total of 13 charges which all resulted in guilty pleas.
- Receiving the Departmental Commendation Ribbon was Detective Corporal David Shaw for exceptional performance during the course of several months while completely restructuring the Field Training Program for new officers.
- Receiving the Departmental Commendation Ribbon was Animal Control Officer Darlene Price for exceptional performance on or about July 11, 2011. Over two days Officer Price worked relentlessly to rescue a citizen’s cat that was stuck in a storm drain, even returning to the scene while off duty to continue the effort. Finally, with the assistance of Patrol Officer Jeremy Johnson and a mentorship student who was riding with Officer Price, the cat was freed and reunited with its owner. In addition to the Commendation from the Department, Officer Price was awarded the 2011 Public Service Award from the Virginia Animal Control Association (VACA) during their annual training conference on Oct. 19. Officer Johnson was also recognized by the (VACA) for the invaluable assistance he rendered that day and he was presented an award on behalf of that organization by Officer Price.
As the result of a recent promotion process to fill vacant supervisory positions in the department several officers have been promoted to corporal and sergeant respectively. Although these promotions have already taken effect, yesterday, these leaders along with family and friends participated in a pinning ceremony.
The officers and their new rank are listed below.
- Sgt. David Shaw
- Sgt. Jason McCall
- Sgt. Christopher Hilliard
- Cpl. Fred Smith
- Cpl. Alyssa Campbell