Virginia men’s soccer welcomes 10 student-athletes in 2016-17 signing class
The Virginia men’s soccer program has announced its incoming recruiting class for the 2016-17 season. The talented group features 10 student-athletes, including one transfer. The class was ranked third nationally by Top Drawer Soccer.
“We are excited to welcome this class to Virginia,” Virginia head coach George Gelnovatch said. “We believe the members of this group are very talented on and off the field and are good fits for our program. We look forward to having them and are anticipating a few more signings in the near future.”
The recruiting class includes Max Diamond (Hopedale, Mass.), Victor Falck (Virginia Beach, Va.), Josh Goldstern (Livingston, N.J.), Aaron James (Amherst, Mass.), Terrell Lowe (Hillsboro, Ore.), Weston McKennie (Little Elm, Texas), Lucas Mendes (Arlington, Va.), Colin Shutler (Broadlands, Va.) and Raheem Taylor-Parkes (Tampa, Fla.) as well as transfer Bay Kurtz (Crown Point, Ind.) from Liberty.
2016-2017 Virginia soccer signees
Max Diamond, M, Hopedale, Mass.
• Played for New England Revolution Academy
• Holding midfielder
• Tall, physical presence
Victor Falck, D/M, Virginia Beach, Va.
• Early enrollee at UVA and competing with team during spring season
• Played with Richmond United Academy
• Moved to U.S. in 2012 from Gothenburg, Sweden
• Versatile, can play anywhere in the back six positions, likely in the back four
Josh Goldstern, F, Livingston, N.J.
• Currently at Players Development Academy
• Strong forward with high motor
Aaron James, M, Amherst, Mass.
• Played with New England Revolution Academy
• Speedy, technical wide player
Terrell Lowe, M, Hillsboro, Ore.
• Member of Portland Timbers Academy
• Completed U.S. U-17 residency
• Recently was named to U.S. U-19 MNT roster
• Plays holding midfielder
Weston McKennie, M, Little Elm, Texas
• Competed with FC Dallas Academy program
• Team won academy national championship in 2015
• U-17 residency and currently with U-19 national team (competing with future UVA teammate Terrell Lowe)
• Central midfield, attacking central midfield
Lucas Mendes, M, Arlington, Va.
• Played for DC United Academy
• Recently called into U.S. U-20 national team camp
• Attacking goal scorer
Colin Shutler, GK, Broadlands, Va.
• Played club soccer for Loudoun FC
• Attends Briar Woods High School
• Athletic player with good technique
• Also was member of Region 1 Olympic Development Program team
Raheem Taylor-Parks, F/M, Tampa, Fla.
• Played with Philadelphia Union Academy
• Speedy player who can play any position in front attacking three
• Spent time in U.S. U-17 national team training camp
Bay Kurtz, M/F, Crown Point, Ind.
• Rising junior transfer from Liberty
• Competed in 16 matches, starting 11, in 2015
• Played in 15 games with 11 starts as a freshman
• Tied for team lead in assists both seasons (four in 2014, three in 2015)