augusta free press news

Tykes ‘N Tots Consignment Sale

It’s not a mall, it’s not a department store, and it’s definitely not online shopping. However, the items you need may be found at an affordable price at the Tykes ‘N Tots Consignment Sale taking place this week at the Staunton First Church of God, 1850 Shutterlee Mill Road, Staunton.

Racks are divided by gender, the dominantly pink one being for little girls, and the dominantly blue for boys; with items ranging in size from newborn to children’s size 16 (the size right before junior sizing starts). It is the first time the church has ever held a sale like this and the participants, roughly ten to fifteen female members of the church, are very enthusiastic about the outcome.

“We were just noticing that there was a need in the area for it, and I decided to just give it a shot, and enlisted the help of the church,” Christie Folden, the director of the sale, said of the sales’ origins. “I decided it’d be fun and a good opportunity to do outreach in the community. I mentioned it to the church board and they decided that it was a good idea. We’ve had a lot of good suggestions and a lot of help.”

So far, the sale has had 30 promised sellers, each with a sale number allowing them to bring in up to 100 items, meaning that the sale could have potentially 3,000 items. Because these items are slightly used, they will be going for anywhere from a third of their original price value or less; most of the clothing items already being marked as only $5.

All of the sale items are geared to mothers, soon to be mothers, infants, toddlers, and young children. When asked why the church targeted these demographics, Folden said, “This was just a good starting point. It was an easy place to cut off sizes. And we have maternity and all the kid gear and everything. It was just a good place to cut off because we weren’t sure what we would be able to fit in our facility.”

All sellers were asked to wash, hang, and tag their items with their number, the size, and the price they would like to sell for. Then, they brought their items to the church, which has done all of the actual advertising and will do all of the actual selling for the sale. For every item that is sold the seller will receive 70 percent back. The other 30 percent will go back to the church, which will use this money for various outreach projects in the community and to help fund their mission teams.

Folden and the other participating would like to make the Tykes ‘N Tots sale a twice annual event, with one taking place in August as a back to school sale, as well as a toy sale around the holidays.

When asked if she would like to be in charge of it again, Folden simply replied, “Absolutely.”

Early shop for volunteers

Thursday, March 17th 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Public Sale

  • Friday, March 18, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, March 19, 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Event Coordinator

Christie Folden, 540.280.4437,

Story by Suzi Foltz. Suzi is an intern and a Wilson Memorial High School senior.