Staunton Democrats set May caucus
The Staunton Democratic Committee has released a call to unassembled caucus to nominate candidates for Commonwealth’s attorney and city sheriff for Tuesday, May 12.
1. Call. Pursuant to the authority provided by the Virginia Democratic Party Plan, the Staunton Democratic Committee hereby calls an Unassembled Caucus to be held on Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, from 7:15 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., in the City Council Chambers of the Staunton City Hall, 116 W. Beverley street, Staunton, Virginia.
2. Incorporated Documents. All appropriate provisions of the Code of Virginia (“Code”), Virginia Democratic Party Plan (“Party Plan”) and the Bylaws of the Staunton Democratic Commitee (“Bylaws”) are incorporated into this Call by reference and made a part hereof.
3. Purpose. The sole purpose of this Caucus shall be to nominate one candidate for Commonwealth Attorney of Staunton, VA, and one candidate for Staunton City Sheriff, in accordance with the Code, Party Plan and Bylaws.
4. Candidate Requirements: Each candidate for nomination must meet the requirements specified by the Code, the Party Plan, and the Bylaws. Filing forms may be obtained from the Chair of the Staunton Democratic Committee. C. Robert Dickerman, through the Staunton/Augusta Democratic Committee headquarters at 2507 N. Augusta street, Staunton, VA 24401. Each candidate for nomination must submit a completed filing form, at the Staunton Democratic Committee’s address above, by Monday, May 4, 2009, no later than 4:30 p.m.. Each filing form must be accompanied by a filing fee of $25. If exactly one qualified candidate files for either of these offices, that candidate shall be declared the nominee. If there are no questions to be considered by the Caucus, the Caucus shall be canceled.
5. Notice Requirements: It shall be the duty of the Staunton Democratic Committee, and its officers and members, to ensure that this Call receives the widest possible dissemination.
6. Voting Eligibility and Requirements: Any Democrat who is registered to vote in the City of Staunton may vote in the Caucus or by in-person absentee ballot, provided that he or she signs a declaration that he or she is a Democrat, is a registered voter in the City of Staunton, believes in the principles of the Democratic Party, will not participate in the nominating process of any other political party and does not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee in the next election. In-person absentee ballots may be completed at the Staunton Democratic Committee address above, on Friday, May 8th, between 2 and 4:30 p.m.
7. Caucus Committees and Officers: The Chair of the Staunton Democratic Committee shall appoint temporary rules and credentials committees, which shall publish rules and credentials procedures for the Caucus. The Caucus shall elect a Permanent Chair and Clerk.
8. Outreach: Participation in the Caucus is open to all registered voters who wish to participate as Democrats. The Staunton Democratic Committee shall conduct a vigorous outreach effort to ensure that all members of the Democratic community are aware of the Caucus and how to participate. Such outreach shall be directed to all Democratic constituencies, including groups such as ethnic minorities, young people, persons over 65 years of age, lesbians and gay men, persons with a high school education or less, persons with differing abilities, and persons of low and moderate income.
Adopted by the Staunton Democratic Committee on April 14, 2009.
– News Release