Staunton City Council opposes Atlantic Coast Pipeline
The letter was sent to representatives of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
Dull also requested in the letter their support in opposing the project and protecting the City’s pristine water source, Gardner Springs, which could be devastatingly impacted by the project.
Among the highlights in the letter:
- Affirmed Staunton City Council’s objection to the Atlantic Coast Pipeline project and lodged specific objection based on the threat to Gardner Spring, a valuable and critical water source for the citizens of the City and Augusta County. The City acquired the spring in the 1930s.
- Asked for the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality’s (VDEQ) collaboration with the City to protect Gardner Spring, and that VDEQ lodge a strong objection to the project with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- Noted that Dominion and FERC failed to account for the potential catastrophic consequences of the pipeline project in the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS).
- Asked where the impact of the pipeline on Gardner Spring is mentioned in the DEIS. The City found no meaningful acknowledgment of this critical water source in the DEIS, besides a glib admission of an increased risk of geological features along the pipeline route.
- Asked where the proximity of the proposed pipeline to Gardner Spring’s recharge area is explicitly mentioned in the DEIS.
- Requested that VDEQ and FERC insist that Dominion arrange for independent, outside professional engineers and other professionals to complete and publish a study regarding the potential implications for Gardner Spring.
- Noted Dominion’s refusal to meet with City Council to discuss the project and the City’s concerns about the project’s proximity to Gardner Spring and its recharge area.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell