Sizemore among VBL honorees
Item by Chris Graham
Waynesboro second baseman Brandon Sizemore had another solid week as the Generals completed their run at the Valley League Southern Division crown.
Sizemore, named one of the league’s players of the week for the final week of the regular season, hit .444 with two homers and 10 RBI.
The College of Charleston product also stole five bases and scored five runs.
Sizemore is hitting a team-best .394 (.488 on-base percentage, .779 slugging percentage) with nine home runs, 32 RBI, 31 runs scored and 14 stolen bases in the “08 Valley season.
Also honored last week were …
– Winchester first baseman Tyler Townsend (Florida International), who hit .565 with a homer, nine RBI and 10 runs scored. Townsend is hitting .405 in ’08 with 11 home runs and 34 RBI.
– Winchester first baseman/outfielder Joe Agreste (West Virginia), who hit .500 lsat week with a home run and nine RBI. Agreste is hitting .333 in ’08 with six homers and 21 RBI.
– Harrisonburg outfielder Drew Johnson (San Francisco), who hit .400 with two homers and four RBI last week. Johnson is hitting .364 with six home runs and 23 RBI in ’08.
– Fauquier pitcher Jon Luke Jacobs (Auburn), who struck out 17 in three appearances with a 1-0 record and two saves last week. Jacobs is 4-1 in ’08 with a 1.10 ERA.
– Fauquier pitcher Ben Blanton (Vanderbilt), who was 2-0 with a complete-game victory over Haymarket and a four-inning relief stint against Harrisonburg. Blanton is 4-0 in ’08 with a 2.33 ERA.
– Woodstock pitcher Brach Davis, who struck out 12 batters in a complete-game victory last week. Davis is 3-3 in ’08 with a 3.50 ERA and 51 strikeouts in 43 2/3 innings.