Six EMU athletes named to state all-academic team
The Virginia Sports Information Directors has named six Eastern Mennonite University student-athletes for their performances both in the classroom and in competition to the organization’s 2008-09 VaSID Academic All-State Team from Virginia colleges and universities.
To be eligible, student-athletes were required to have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or better, have achieved sophomore status and could not be in the first season of competition at their school.
Two EMU student-athletes honored this year, Kristina Landis and Michelle Leaman, were also named to the Academic All-State Team in 2007-08.
The honorees, individual’s sport, academic year, hometown and major are:
– Michelle Leaman, Broadway, Va., indoor/outdoor track, hurdles, junior, Spanish and education major;
– Kristina Landis, Harleysville, Pa., field hockey, defender, senior, biology;
– Julie Denlinger, Lancaster, Pa., field Hockey, midfielder, senior, social work;
– Mary Dunn, Dalton, Ohio, soccer, midfielder, junior, nursing;
– Justin Hochstetler, Iowa City, Iowa, cross country, senior, psychology; and
– Jackson Maust, Bayport, Mich, soccer, goalkeeper, senior, biology.