Sandbag materials to be made available in Staunton on Wednesday
Distribution of materials is scheduled from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the Wharf parking lot, accessible from Johnson Street.
- Materials, including sand and bags, will be available on a first come, first served basis.Quantities are limited.
- Public Works personnel will be present to provide limited assistance.
- Shovels will be available for use, but individuals are encouraged to bring their own.
- Individuals must transport filled sandbags to the property to be protected, without city assistance.
- Materials will not be accepted for return by the city.Proper disposal is the responsibility of individuals who receive materials.
While the city does not normally distribute sandbag materials in response to a flood watch, the timing of Wednesday’s forecast so soon after last weekend’s extraordinary flood event led officials to take this extra step.
“We understand the anxiety and disruption caused by the recent severe flood conditions, which have not been experienced in our community for years,” said City Manager Steve Rosenberg. “While this has not been and will not be the city’s standard practice when flood watches are issued, in this particular circumstance we want to be as responsive as possible to community concern.”
Rosenberg also stressed the importance of personal preparedness in pending storm situations, particularly now that the hurricane season is underway. “While city government will prepare for and respond to inclement weather, the best protection comes from having a disaster plan and an emergency kit for your home and business,” he said.
The following links connect to disaster preparedness information from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management: