This fall, VDOT will install rumble strips along eight primary highways as a safety countermeasure to drivers straying from their lane.
In late August, rumble strips were installed on the shoulders along Route 29 from Ruckersville north to the Prince William County line. Beginning Oct. 11 and over the next several months, rural portions of these routes will be addressed:
- Route 6 in Fluvanna County
- Route 17 in Fauquier County
- Route 20 in Albemarle and Orange counties
- Route 230 in Madison County
- Route 231 in Madison and Rappahannock counties
- Route 250 in Fluvanna County
- Route 522 in Rappahannock County
Where these routes are two lanes wide, rumble strips will be installed along the road’s centerline to mitigate head-on collisions and over-correcting. On four-lane routes, installation will be on the shoulders. Use caution and expect minor delays during this work.
Culpeper District’s goal is to add rumble strips on all primary highways over the next several years, as funding and paving schedules allow. The district serves nine counties: Albemarle, Culpeper, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Orange and Rappahannock.